Smartbone dials and groups

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Reindeer

Smartbone dials and groups

Post by Reindeer »

Hi, I'm trying to get a layer to rotate via a Smartbone Dial. The layer, representing the finger on the hand of a character, is nested inside a group (called "hand") but the Smatbone Dial cannot move the finger layer. When double-clicking the Action, the layer has a pink background color instead of light blue, which I guess indicates I'm doing something wrong.
If I move the layer outside of the group the action starts to work (and the background is blue), but I'd like to keep it inside the group for organisation's sake. Is there a way to make this work? Thank you!
synthsin75

Re: Smartbone dials and groups

Post by synthsin75 »

If the group is bound to a bone, that will stop smart bones from being able to reach sublayers. You'll want to release that group layer and do any binding to each of the sublayers individually.
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

synthsin75 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:35 am If the group is bound to a bone, that will stop smart bones from being able to reach sublayers. You'll want to release that group layer and do any binding to each of the sublayers individually.
Thank you, I'll try that!
I was actually just experimenting another solution which would be to convert the "hand" group into a bone and attach the Smartbone Dial to that single bone layer. The good, is that it works. The bad is that the Smartbone Dial is not visible in the general rigging, which means every time I need to move the fingers (which luckily is not too often in this character) I must select the hand's bone layer.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Yeah, I prefer all the bone animation to be in the same layer. Helps if I need to retime animation.
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

synthsin75 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:08 am Yeah, I prefer all the bone animation to be in the same layer. Helps if I need to retime animation.
Yes, in fact I followed your solution. Simpler, and keeps stuff organised. Thanks :)