gradient shading changing as object moves

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

fukuro

gradient shading changing as object moves

Post by fukuro »

When moving an object with gradient shading, the shading changes. For example, at frame 0, object looks right. Set to frame 10, move object. Object coloration changes. What is going on? Thanks.
fukuro

Re: gradient shading changing as object moves

Post by fukuro »

fukuro wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 2:51 am When moving an object with gradient shading, the shading changes. For example, at frame 0, object looks right. Set to frame 10, move object. Object coloration changes. What is going on? Thanks.
What is going on is that the gradient controls are not moving. Is this a bug (why would this be a feature)? Is there some way to integrate the coloration with movement?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Gradients inside of vectors work the same way image layers. That means they move following the bones' strength.
Many times, the best solution is to:

- add strength to the bones (if they don't have any)
- set which bones should move each layer with the 'Use selected bones for flexi-binding' option under the Bone menu

The second part is important, because even if you bound the vector points of a layer to certain bones, its gradients (and other shape effects) will still follow the bones' strength.

Another option that works is to bind each layer to a bone. But I normally don't recommend this one, because it's too rigid.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
fukuro

Post by fukuro »

Víctor Paredes wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:03 am Gradients inside of vectors work the same way image layers. That means they move following the bones' strength.
Many times, the best solution is to:

- add strength to the bones (if they don't have any)
- set which bones should move each layer with the 'Use selected bones for flexi-binding' option under the Bone menu

The second part is important, because even if you bound the vector points of a layer to certain bones, its gradients (and other shape effects) will still follow the bones' strength.

Another option that works is to bind each layer to a bone. But I normally don't recommend this one, because it's too rigid.
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for not being clear. The vector image layer (a single layer) moving is static (an airplane), without bones. So, my question remains: how can I get an vector layer image using gradients to properly move? (Must I add bones?)
fukuro

Post by fukuro »

fukuro wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 2:51 am When moving an object with gradient shading, the shading changes. For example, at frame 0, object looks right. Set to frame 10, move object. Object coloration changes. What is going on? Thanks.
Figured out that what should be done: transform the layer with the object in it (rather than physically move the object). Being new to the program, I am still trying to figure out the "proper" way to do things. What I discovered with the gradients not moving with an object in a timeline is a bizarre anomaly, if not an outright bug - which may be that the developers never thought of such a scenario (it being an odd way to do things). Thanks for the replies.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I was about to respond about transforming the layer but I see you got it.

As Victor points out, the gradient and the paths are two separate items in the layer. To move them together, you need to move the layer itself or bind the shape to bones and animate the bones. If you use one bone, it behaves like moving the layer; with two or more bones, you can deform both the shapes and gradient together.

One possible advantage in animating bones vs animating the layer is that the character's animation keyframes stay in a single bones layer, keeping the animation a little easier to manage.