Multiple embedded video best practice

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Jkoseattle

Multiple embedded video best practice

Post by Jkoseattle »

I have a project about a minute long which will contain 6-8 animations inside it, each of which will be within an oval vector layer using masking. The ovals containing the video will move a bit as well.

I've learned that importing each of these videos into my project bogs the thing down as to become unusable. So I figured I would create separate Moho projects for each oval with its video in it, moving how I want, and then set the project background to green. Then I would compile all the separate oval videos in Camtasia, setting the green screen color. This mostly works, but there are ghost green shadows around the ovals, and adjusting the green screen tolerance doesn't make it workable.

I'm assuming this is done all the time. What's the best practice for this?
Most of the time I'm doing music stuff. Check me out at http://www.jimofseattle.com/music.

Thing I did for work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgFYGqifLYw
slowtiger

Re: Multiple embedded video best practice

Post by slowtiger »

Well, I successfully did a Moho project with about 16 or 20 videos in it, but I remember that i had to split it in 2 or 3 passes to render correctly. That was in 2013 in Moho/AS 8. So your version definitely should be able to do this as well!

(It's this one: https://vimeo.com/77061828

Each "character is its own Quicktime movie in HD.)

I can't think of a reason why it's not working on your side. Videos on the same harddisk as the project? Videos not in 4K? Videos work in other software?
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Jkoseattle

Post by Jkoseattle »

Huh, well, same actual folder as the project in fact, videos play fine everywhere else, and they are not 4K. As soon as I add them into my Moho project, it's like molasses for everything. Man, I would love it if this were some other problem and I didn't have to dick around with green screens.
Most of the time I'm doing music stuff. Check me out at http://www.jimofseattle.com/music.

Thing I did for work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgFYGqifLYw
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Typically, we use image sequences for this sort of thing because then only a single frame is loaded for each placed sequence. This drastically reduces the memory overhead and network bandwidth required to render the project compared to inserting multiple video files.

Videos files may seem more convenient because you have fewer files to deal with, but if bogs down the project and makes it difficult to render, then it's not much of a benefit.

Of course, this really depends on the complexity of the project and what you have available to render with. But, most of the time, even when I have a powerful computer and network rendering available (like at my workplace,) I prefer work with image sequences.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

In fact one of the reasons i like Moho so much was that it deals gracefully even with large imported files, images or video. If this has changed in recent versions, well ...

hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Jkoseattle wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:18 pm I have a project about a minute long which will contain 6-8 animations inside it, each of which will be within an oval vector layer using masking. The ovals containing the video will move a bit as well.

I've learned that importing each of these videos into my project bogs the thing down as to become unusable. So I figured I would create separate Moho projects for each oval with its video in it, moving how I want, and then set the project background to green. Then I would compile all the separate oval videos in Camtasia, setting the green screen color. This mostly works, but there are ghost green shadows around the ovals, and adjusting the green screen tolerance doesn't make it workable.

I'm assuming this is done all the time. What's the best practice for this?
two suggestions from me.

export each video, including the moving oval mask, as a png sequence (not as, e.g., an mp4 video) (so you don't get the background at all) and composite in the video editor of your choice

export the video without the masking, and do the "oval" masking in the video editor as a matte
specialoh

Post by specialoh »

slowtiger wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:18 pm Well, I successfully did a Moho project with about 16 or 20 videos in it, but I remember that i had to split it in 2 or 3 passes to render correctly. That was in 2013 in Moho/AS 8. So your version definitely should be able to do this as well!

(It's this one: https://vimeo.com/77061828

Each "character is its own Quicktime movie in HD.)

I can't think of a reason why it's not working on your side. Videos on the same harddisk as the project? Videos not in 4K? Videos work in other software?
lol what I wish i knew how to do any of that that video is kinda dope - the wrap text effect is rlly cool
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

That text effect gave me the headaches - I did it in Photoshop in 3D, and it took ages to render!

specialoh

Post by specialoh »

its super neat and fits well thats a cool video