Updating changes made to Rig across multiple files

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

doorflung

Updating changes made to Rig across multiple files

Post by doorflung »

Hi there,

Please let me know if this topic has already been discussed or if I am posting in the wrong section. This is the first time I'm making a post; thanks in advance for your help.

I discovered that I need to make an update to a rig that has already been used in multiple files. The animation has already been completed in all of these files and I'm looking for a way not to have to re-import the updated rig and re-do all the animation. Basically, I want to make a rig that is currently in black and white, into a full color rig, but I want to be able to make this change in my rig's primary file, and have it update into color in all of the animated files I've already put several hours of work in.

I am aware that, upon initially importing a rig into a scene, I can check the box that says "Import by reference," but I unfortunately did not have this box checked when I previously animated all of my files with the black-and-white character. I am under the impression that because I did not check this box, I am out of luck, and there's now no way to make it so whenever I make a change to the rig's primary file, it will update that rig in all of the other files it's in. Am I correct in this assumption or am I missing another option?

I think my only other option at this point is to re-import the full-color rig into each file, and copy and paste all the animation I've done for the black-and-white rig, into the full-color rig.

Please let me know if I'm missing any other easier or more efficient options, as this option would take several hours of work.

Thank you so much!
synthsin75

Re: Updating changes made to Rig across multiple files

Post by synthsin75 »

doorflung wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:07 pm I think my only other option at this point is to re-import the full-color rig into each file, and copy and paste all the animation I've done for the black-and-white rig, into the full-color rig.
Yeah, unless you import by reference, I think this is your only option.