Caustics

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DK

Caustics

Post by DK »

Anyone got an idea on how to do a caustics loop in moho?
I've been playing around with animating lines but just can't get that realistic movement.
Cheers
D.K
synthsin75

Re: Caustics

Post by synthsin75 »

In the past, I've animated these using a ladder of bones translated to create waves. Pretty easy to loop the bone animation.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

The main feature seems to be rings that appear and disappear, so you may have 2 layers of wildly oscillating lines rectangular to each other plus some of these rings on top. But this effect might be done easier with a pixel filter in AFX.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
DK

Post by DK »

Thanks for the responses.
Managed to get the effect I was after, though it took a lot of work.
Imported the grey scale image sequence from Caustics Generator 4 into Lightwave as an image sequence.
Laid over a polygon as a background and set it as a transparency mask. Rendered out as a transparent image
sequence, imported into Moho, masked it out and colored the layer to suit

https://www.winsite.com/Multimedia/Misc ... Generator/

Cheers
D.K
uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

excellent!
I use a MacBook Pro, and Anime Studio Pro 11.2
http://uncle808s.blogspot.com
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hey, a fellow LightWaver!

I was going to suggest rendering an image sequence from a caustic generator and comping it. I think that always looks better for 2D or 3D work, and it's easy to do. In a 3D program like LightWave, I might add the sequence to a light and project the fake caustics onto objects. I find this is significantly faster than rendering actual raytraced caustics into the shot, and it can look convincing enough.

There are many programs than can render a credible caustics effect as an image sequence. I've used this program called Caustics Generator to output image sequences for this sort of thing: https://www.dualheights.se/caustics/
DK

Post by DK »

Hi Greenlaw. Yes! Been a lightwaver since it first came to Australia and still love it to this day although don't use it as much as I used to. Moho kinda took it's place for me being a small studio. It made it a lot quicker to output a project. Wanted to post the caustics Moho file but with the image sequence included the file size blew out to 35mb :shock:

Cheers
D.K