Drawing Tablet problem with Moho

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Daxel

Drawing Tablet problem with Moho

Post by Daxel »

I recently started trying to use my old surface pro to draw with moho pro 12.5. It has a wacom display with a stylus. But it looks like Moho doesnt recognise that I am drawing a line until I make a long enough stroke. If I try to make very small lines (almost dots) it is impossible, it always draws a dot. It doesn't matter if I use the Freehand tool or the blob brush. This only happens with moho, I tried using paint and I don't have this problem there. And it only happens with the stylus: with a mouse I can draw the smallest line in Moho with no problem, so it doesn't seem to be related to the Free Hand tool's options.

Do you have this problem? Do you know how to solve it? Thanks for reading.
Last edited by Daxel on Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slowtiger

Re: Drawing Tablet problem with Moho

Post by slowtiger »

There are Freehand options, I'd try different values for smoothing.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

Perhaps you have "Auto-weld" enabled?
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

I tried desactivating all those options but it's still the same. And with mouse it doesn't happen at all so it doesn't seem to be related to the Free Hand options, but to the way Moho processes the stylus.
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

I have a Surface Pro as well and I found using the screen to draw to be a pretty terrible experience (both the angle of the screen and the issue you described). I was never able to find a solution either, so, I ended up buying and enjoying one of these: https://www.huion.com/pen_display/Kamva ... ro-16.html

Certainly not an ideal outcome, considering I purchased a Surface specifically for its drawing capabilities.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

alanthebox wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:25 pm I have a Surface Pro as well and I found using the screen to draw to be a pretty terrible experience (both the angle of the screen and the issue you described). I was never able to find a solution either, so, I ended up buying and enjoying one of these: https://www.huion.com/pen_display/Kamva ... ro-16.html

Certainly not an ideal outcome, considering I purchased a Surface specifically for its drawing capabilities.
Oh, I see... And Moho doesn't have that "small lines" problem with that Huion tablet, right? I always wanted to buy one of those, but I can't right now. So I will use krita by now.
Thanks for answering!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I don't even bother with Freehand or Blob brush anymore. They're just too frustrating to use. FWIW, the tools do behave more predictably with a genuine Wacom device but it's still not reliable enough for serious work. When I draw vector graphics in Moho, I only use the Add Points and Shapes tools.

Tip: For me, a quick method for drawing with the Add Points tool is to disable Smooth points and then rapidly draw my shapes with rough angles. Then, when I'm done with the 'rough' outline, I select the points I want smoothed and apply the Smooth command. If you don't want to use the shortcut keys for this, try using my MQC panel. MQC has an on-screen button for this command that you can access anytime you need it. (The native Peak and Smooth buttons appear only when the Curvature tool is active.)

If the shape requires it, tweak the point positions, add more points and adjust the curvatures by dragging on the points with the Curvature tool. After some practice, you'll get a good sense for where to plot your points optimally so you can draw quickly and edit less. When you watch videos of experienced Moho artists drawing in Moho, this is the workflow you often see.

Another tip: disable Show Bezier Handles when drawing for animation. This feature can really mess you up for shapes you intend to deform in animation. Bezier shapes are great for getting very precise shapes with the fewest points but they're awful for deforming with bones. I might use Bezier shapes for static objects but I use shapes with only regular points for deforming character parts.

Final tip: if you accidentally create a Bezier point, you can turn it back into a regular point by selecting the point and clicking the Peak or Smooth buttons. (Hide the Bezier handles immediately after you do this.)

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

Daxel wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:51 pm
alanthebox wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:25 pm I have a Surface Pro as well and I found using the screen to draw to be a pretty terrible experience (both the angle of the screen and the issue you described). I was never able to find a solution either, so, I ended up buying and enjoying one of these: https://www.huion.com/pen_display/Kamva ... ro-16.html

Oh, I see... And Moho doesn't have that "small lines" problem with that Huion tablet, right? I always wanted to buy one of those, but I can't right now. So I will use krita by now.
Thanks for answering!
Yup, I can confirm that the Huion allows for very fine drawing. Just be warned, the Huion requires an HDMI input, so, for my Surface that required purchasing a mini display port to HDMI converter. Although I also have a Wacom Cintiq at my main workstation, I've tried several different drawing tablets over the years and I would consider Huion to be the runner up in terms of quality (I had tons of problems with XP Pen products, although their customer service was excellent).
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Thanks, I'll have that in mind.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Greenlaw wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:21 pm I don't even bother with Freehand or Blob brush anymore. They're just too frustrating to use. FWIW, the tools do behave more predictably with a genuine Wacom device but it's still not reliable enough for serious work. When I draw vector graphics in Moho, I only use the Add Points and Shapes tools.

Tip: For me, a quick method for drawing with the Add Points tool is to disable Smooth points and then rapidly draw my shapes with rough angles. Then, when I'm done with the 'rough' outline, I select the points I want smoothed and apply the Smooth command. (If you don't want to use the shortcut keys for this, try using my MQC panel. MQC you an on-button for this command that you can access anytime you need it.)

If the shape requires it, tweak the positions, add more points and adjust the curvatures by dragging on the points with the Curvature tool. After some practice, you'll get a good sense for where to plot your points optimally so you can draw more and edit less. When you watch videos of experienced Moho artists drawing in Moho, this is the workflow you often see.

Another tip: disable Show Bezier Handles when drawing for animation. This feature can really mess you up for shapes you intend to deform in animation. Bezier shapes are great for getting very precise shapes with the fewest points but they're awful for deforming with bones. I might use Bezier shapes for static objects but I use shapes with only regular points for deforming character parts.

Final tip: if you accidentally create a Bezier point, you can turn it back into a regular point by selecting the point and clicking the Peak or Smooth buttons. (Hide the Bezier handles immediately after you do this.)

Hope this helps.
Haha yes, thanks, I actually follow all those tips because you told me about them time ago. But I wanted to draw in Moho. Not only trace over drawings made somewhere else, but to be able to use the freehand tool to quickly draw some postures or perspectives that my rig doesn't allow, just for a few frames. Maybe using those drawings directly or maybe using them as sketches and draw over them with the point by point tool. I guess that this is more doable with Moho 13, because you can quickly draw those sketches with the bitmap tools. But sadly Moho 12 is still a better option.