Nested Bones and Switch Layers

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DK

Nested Bones and Switch Layers

Post by DK »

Is it possible to control a layer that is within in a switch layer via a master bone at the root bone structure?

I want to control pupils in an eye switch layer via a freely moveable bone in the master bone layer.

Thanks
D.K
synthsin75

Re: Nested Bones and Switch Layers

Post by synthsin75 »

Yes, but you can't have any bones in the switch layer and it can't be bound to any bone, as both keep bone influence from propagating to the switch sublayers. You'll need to bind each switch sublaye to a bone in the main layer, instead of binding the switch layer itself.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Sorry, that's not correct.

There can be bones in the switch layer, which control the layers that are inside the switch. Just test yourself: if you select the switch layer, the "add bone" tool is active.

I don't know if switch layer bones can control any bone in a switch sublayer. I guess this is the same problem as with interpolating switches: as long as all switch sublayers use the exact same bone setup it could work. Someone willing to test this?
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
DK

Post by DK »

I ended up going with 2 x SB actions on 2 x control bones. Left Right, Up Down. I would have much rather had a freely moveable bone control dragging both pupils around within the switch layer but any other solution seemed to interfere with the blink switch layer where both pupils are covered. (it's a very basic setup that allows a lot of freedom of movement with out being overly bound to SB automation). Trying to achieve a hand drawn cartoon feel to the animation. It is working really well and is quite fast to animate.

Cheers
D.K
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I like the design. If this were mine, I'd go for more jerky movements anyway and reserve the fluid slow ones to special moments only.

DK

Post by DK »

Hi Slow.
Thank you for the comment. I really value your opinion on this type of animation.
Will try to make the actions more abrupt to emulate a more traditional a fbf feel.
Is there a way to make actions more abrupt rather than smooth? I know you can set
interval to emulate this. Any other ideas?

Cheers
D.K
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Well, it's all about making it snappy. Only 1 or 2 inbetweens. Only 4 head positions (then flip). Your hands are already there: defined poses without any inbetweens. (Very small and very good hands!)

The trick is to balance this carefully: I've found that I don't like the eye open/eye closed blink approach, so my blinks are 1 halfway down, 2 frames closed, 1 halfway up (but different position) (and the pupil may change position as well). Open/close without inbetween can still be used for emphasys.

Opposite for head turns: do them snappy, and only slow for certain moments.

Pupils: alway jump into position, slow only when following something.

Mouth: 5 positions are enough, plus anything for emphasis (grin, loud shout, etc). Take care to move the chin a little bit, and the cheeks, with a fatter character.

Your character bows to the side: try and bend the knee on that side as well. It always pays to keep a readable pose for the full character. So if it moves the arms, shoulder and body should do as well - not much, but noticable.

That arm going from one side to the opposite: if it fits the overall style, try to make it a 1 frame smear.

It's worth to experiment with these options, then decide on one set and use it consequently.

(Hm, now I'm tempted to just do all this, as a demonstration - but there's other stuff to do!)

DK

Post by DK »

Here's another test. This time I set the intervals to 2's and added some arm blurring.
Really enjoying animating this character and keeping things simple.
Cheers
D.K

synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

slowtiger wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:13 am Sorry, that's not correct.

There can be bones in the switch layer, which control the layers that are inside the switch. Just test yourself: if you select the switch layer, the "add bone" tool is active.

I don't know if switch layer bones can control any bone in a switch sublayer. I guess this is the same problem as with interpolating switches: as long as all switch sublayers use the exact same bone setup it could work. Someone willing to test this?
Just to clarify this for anyone coming across it...

Of course you can have bones in a switch layer, that control the switch's sublayers, but DK was specifically asking about controlling the switch's sublayers from the switch's parent bone layer...hence the need for nested bone control. With nested bones control, whether smart bones or not, any bone in the switch layer will stop any bone in the switch's parent bone layer from being able to influence a switch sublayer.