Flip View?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Daxel

Flip View?

Post by Daxel »

I feel like this may be a dumb question, but I haven't seen yet how to flip the view horizontally, and that is a common practice when you want to polish a drawing.
Right now I am exporting the frame image, then I open it with an image editor and flip it horizontally, but it is a waste of time. Inside Moho, I know that I can flip the layer but that creates a frame so I don't like it, and inside the view tools panel I can rotate the view but I don't know how to rotate it exaclty 180º (maybe with shift it could work, now that I think about it) But I just miss a good old "flip view" button. Is there one? Moho 12.5
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Flip View?

Post by Víctor Paredes »

It's not a perfect solution, but you can go to View -> Direction -> Back
In Edit -> Edit keyboard shortcuts, you can assign a shortcut to it (for instance, I just defined Back view as Shift + 9 and Camera view as Shift + 0).
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Víctor Paredes wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:59 pm It's not a perfect solution, but you can go to View -> Direction -> Back
In Edit -> Edit keyboard shortcuts, you can assign a shortcut to it (for instance, I just defined Back view as Shift + 9 and Camera view as Shift + 0).
Thank you! it is almost perfect. The only downside that I see is that for some reason, when I render with the back view, I get a smaller drawing on the image. Not sure if I can fix that.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Daxel wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:05 am Thank you! it is almost perfect. The only downside that I see is that for some reason, when I render with the back view, I get a smaller drawing on the image. Not sure if I can fix that.
if the layer z is not 0 this could explain the visual size difference

check the z of the render layer -- that would make the camera-to-layer distance different in the front and back views.

and if that is the case and you don't have the option to zeroise it, you could manually position the camera at the required z (see below) and pan it 180 degrees.

default camera is at 3.7321. If the layer z is (e.g.) 1 then the camera-to-layer distance is 2.7321. so for a back view the camera needs to be at (layer z - required camera-to-layer distance =) -1.7321 with a 180 pan.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

hayasidist wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:34 am
Daxel wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:05 am Thank you! it is almost perfect. The only downside that I see is that for some reason, when I render with the back view, I get a smaller drawing on the image. Not sure if I can fix that.
if the layer z is not 0 this could explain the visual size difference

check the z of the render layer -- that would make the camera-to-layer distance different in the front and back views.

and if that is the case and you don't have the option to zeroise it, you could manually position the camera at the required z (see below) and pan it 180 degrees.

default camera is at 3.7321. If the layer z is (e.g.) 1 then the camera-to-layer distance is 2.7321. so for a back view the camera needs to be at (layer z - required camera-to-layer distance =) -1.7321 with a 180 pan.
All the layer's Z positions are set to 1. So I thought that the difference was because my camera was modified. But I just reset the camera positions and the camera zoom and it keeps behabing exactly the same, so it doesn't seem to be affected by my camera settings. And I noticed that if I click on Front instead of Back, the render is still the same (smaller than the normal camera view).
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Daxel wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:09 pm And I noticed that if I click on Front instead of Back, the render is still the same (smaller than the normal camera view).
Maybe just need to zoom in or "restore defaults" on the render window?
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

synthsin75 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:37 am
Daxel wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:09 pm And I noticed that if I click on Front instead of Back, the render is still the same (smaller than the normal camera view).
Maybe just need to zoom in or "restore defaults" on the render window?
I can zoom in the redered image, but it gets pixelated because it is smaller. And you can see parts of the scene that didn't appear on the normal camera render because they were out of the camera vision, so it is like the camera is just further away from the drawings when I set the view position to back or to front.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Ah, there's no getting around that using view back, as that's using orbit view, which always zooms out. Does using the rotate workspace tool work? Or do you really need it to flip mirrored? If so, the transform layer tool does have flip horizontal and vertical buttons. That would continue to render normally, but you'd need to either flip each layer individually or a group containing the layers.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

You could drop everything inside a group and use the flip layer button.

The buttons are only visible when the Transform Layer tool is active, but if you need the flip layer buttons to be visible all the time, you could create a button panel using autohotkey. (That's how I built the MQC panel I use.)

Alternatively, you make a smart bone action to flip the layer. This will only work on an animation frame, but if you need this for creating FBF drawings, maybe that's okay?

TBH, if I'm creating a complex drawing, like for a detailed environment, I would do that in another drawing program that has all the drawing features I need (like canvas flipping,) and import the result. (I do a lot of drawing in Moho too but that's mainly for items that need to morph using smart bones.)
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Thanks for your answers. Yes I need it mirrored, and the rotate view or the back view doesn't seem to provide that, so I will start flipping the group layer as people suggested.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

For flipping the group more easily while animating, this could help:

- Add a flip keyframe in frame 1, just to have the flip channel visible in the timeline
- Mute the flip channel by clicking the green dot next to the channel icon (that way, the layer won't be flipping all the time if you add keys by mistake)
- In the layers' window, look for the group layer and check the Timeline visibility box (that will make the group layer channels always visible in the timeline)
- Now, every time you want to flip the group, just double click the Flip layer keyframe in frame zero
- If you are too far from frame zero, use the Ctrl+Shift+D shortcut. It will send you back to frame 0. Then use the shortcut again to jump back to the frame you were on

Muted channels can still be rendered, so, to avoid surprises, be sure to remove any flip layer key that could be in the timeline before exporting your animation.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Clever Victor!

Re: muted channels, if you're using 12.5, there is a Render Muted Channels option in the Render Settings window which forces the renderer ignore Mute settings. I have this enabled as my default.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Thank you! I will try that and I have to take a look at the mute channels feature, that I've never used so far.