Scale Bone Modelling

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Genete

Post by Genete »

P.S. - Maybe i misunderstood everything.
Don't worry. Maybe I was so excited for the post where DK showed a complete profile drawn. Sorry If I confused you with that comment. You know it was the excitement of the moment...

And for the comment about the combination of springy bones and actions or scale turn bones, I think it is really the key for full side to side turns.

I've in mi mind a setup like this:

A bone layer with a single (*) vector layer inside. Then a simplified 3D model of bones using 3Dgrid script that represent the center (***) of the most important parts of the face (eyes, nose, ears and mouth), a embedded script to perform shape order based on bones position (other set of bones at the same bone vector layer) and finally a set of actions to move deform the head and main face parts (eyes, mouth, etc) according to each head position. Also include actions to perform front, 3/4 down and 3/4 up that are head turns that people don't think on them normally. Ir would be like map the possible 24 positions (**) of the head using actions.

(*) This is important to allow easy work flow. You have to work with only two layers (bone and vector).

(**)
Front, Front-3/4-up, Front-3/4-down
3/4-Left, 3/4-Left-3/4-up, 3/4-Left-3/4-down
1/4- Left, 1/4-Left-3/4-up, 1/4-Left-3/4-down
Left, Left-3/4-up, Left-3/4-down
Rigth, Right-3/4-up, Right-3/4-down
1/4-Rigth, 1/4-Right-3/4-up, 1/4-Right-3/4-down
3/4-Rigth, 3/4-Right-3/4-up, 3/4-Right-3/4-down
Back, Back-3/4-up, Back-3/4-down.
(((1/4 means looking back)))

(***) Remember that point motion are relative to bones that bind the points so if for example the eye is bound to a bone then every deformation of the eye should be relative to the bone reference system. It allow make funny things like make actions deform the points and let the bone translate it to position the eye in the right place at the right time meanwhile it turns. Also (like a extra feature) bones can be scaled and rotated to allow funny deformations and rotations. Or simply you can atach a complete skeleton to the turning bone to allow the eye make complex movments (like eye blinks and so on). Of course those kind of bones should be deformed as well to match the position of the turn of the head.

This post must be studied carefully because I think I'm touching here the main key...

-G
ARTIST

Post by ARTIST »

"Have you seen the latest addition to the scale rotate in the simple head turn part2 thread? Here you cwill see another technique that will allow you to turn a head from left side profile to right side profile with exact precision. DK"
This is part f the pm from DK.

I knew it could be done. I am just unable to do it, either with my model or cos of something else.

Just letting u know that DK has obviously confirmed in his riginal thread and here that it can be done.
i am unable to do it. And am hoping some1 here knows how to do it. Please help.

tutorial 2 anyone??
Genete

Post by Genete »

I think he is reffering to the "herobase.anme" file. That was the one you started to wirk with. It would be a good new that he find some time and show you (us) how can it be done. I don't see it so obvious.

Maybe you can combine some chains of scaling bones to perform a non linear transation but AFAIK a linear combination of linear translations gives also a linear translation.... Unless... unless you combine different controller scale bones for different bones of the chain...
Mmmm good idea though... I have to test it this evening... ... Anyway ther shoulld be so many bones to control only one point of the mesh...

-G
ARTIST

Post by ARTIST »

Genete wrote:I think he is reffering to the "herobase.anme" file. That was the one you started to wirk with. It would be a good new that he find some time and show you (us) how can it be done. I don't see it so obvious.

Maybe you can combine some chains of scaling bones to perform a non linear transation but AFAIK a linear combination of linear translations gives also a linear translation.... Unless... unless you combine different controller scale bones for different bones of the chain...
Mmmm good idea though... I have to test it this evening... ... Anyway ther shoulld be so many bones to control only one point of the mesh...

-G
herobase.anme is the last file he posted so it must be that.

I agree with all the points u r making and it got me confused about howhe did it as well.
It wouldnt be so hard as his rig is very simple.

"Anyway ther shoulld be so many bones to control only one point of the mesh..."

Those other bones are just for precision. we could always just use the control bones.

take care.
ARTIST

Post by ARTIST »

btw, i am less inclined towards the traditional point motion to achieve side to side as shown in darths videos, cos,

1. i think for that u need profiles, already made beforehand, (u may not need them but its pretty hard without them).

2. u can play around with bones, like with this rig, and that enhances creativity. (that method is about following a pre-set plan.)

3. I know the use of actions can help there a lot but thats neutral as u can use them here.

I dont know. on topof my head, these r the only reasons i can think of for not listening to genete's advise so far. LoL