where is the missing step for gradient shading

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

sickspeed

where is the missing step for gradient shading

Post by sickspeed »

I just bought Anime Sudio 5 last night, im somewhat familiar with flash. I was going through the tutorials this morning, and they must have left a step out because my objects won't fill with gradient, i read there is a missing step but i can't find it. Here are my current steps. (im not using the PRO version, its the full version that is store bought for 50 bucks, also there is no manual, just online tutorials)

1. create shape (or edit select all)
2. press space bar
3. choose fill color and effects in style window (effect 1 to gradient, then chose both colors and hit ok button in gradient popup window)

this only results in my object is being colored my original fill color, and is not gradient at all. Any help?
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

I hope this doesn't sound too dumb, but are you using the Render function to see the picture? AS doesn't show gradients in the work window, you have to render them to see the effect.
~Danimal
sickspeed

Post by sickspeed »

I see what you are saying, BUT to my knowledge the version i have does not have a render button. After i do those steps the tutorials say "click [b]file->render[/b] but when i open the file tab there is no render option, so i believe they left that out of the basic version. But if what you are saying is correct, then how am i supposed to know if it works or not, i tried saving and reopening the saved image and its still not gradient.
sickspeed

Post by sickspeed »

AHH, i see what happened, what you say made sense, but i guess i wasn't thinking. I was doing right all along, i was just stumped that it wasn't showing up like i thought it should. Thanks for your help.
Nucleus

Post by Nucleus »

shortcuts
Ctrl - P : previews scene (effects will not be shown) for quick reference
Ctrl - R : renders scene (all effects will be shown) for final output

unlike flash, effects will not show up on the viewport, it will only view when rendered. make the render shortcut your friend. :)

when building up complex shapes with lots of intersecting lines inside the main shape, you will have to sometimes break then down into smaller components in order for fill to work or color your main shape prior to detailing it.

Good Luck.
"Queso"