character exits?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

toonertime

character exits?

Post by toonertime »

I know all you senior animators have the answer for this
basic question.

I have a character, and say at frame 60 I want to slide him to the
left, and out of the scene. If I try this at frame 60 by either selecting
all the points and moving him, or with camera panning, what happens
is the movement action starts from frame 1 to 60, instead of from 60 forward. How is this done properly?

Prematurely Greatful,
A humble student
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Let's say your character is in the middle of frame, and you want to start sliding him to the left at frame 60 until he is out of shot at frame 90. Let's also assume you will use Move Layer to accomplish this.

You would make a Keyframe at frame 60 WITHOUT MOVING ANYTHING! Next, you would make a keyframe for this layer at frame 90, then at that frame, move your character out of shot.

The sequence will now read: Character stays immobile until frame 60, then starts sliding out of shot until he disappears at frame 90.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
toonertime

thangz

Post by toonertime »

Thanks for the help. I need to understand keyframing
more completely, so I will experiment. I really am not too
sure on how to create key frames in the timeline. I am
entering a contest and learning as I go!

Thank you again for the advise!
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Keyframes are "action points." You set them and the software extrpolates what happens between them (which is why the process is called "tweening").

Adding keyframes is as simple as sliding the timeline to where you want it (in your case frame 60) and right clicking. The 1st choice is Add Keyframe. As a time saver, you could then move slide along the timeline to frame 90 and move the character wherever you want him to end up and the keyframe will be added automitically.

But yes, do experiment. It's a great way to learn! :)
~Danimal
montblankdesign

Keyframes

Post by montblankdesign »

You should experiment with the different keyframe settings.
When you have a keyframe dot on your timeline, control click the keyframe and a menu comes up. This is another way to create keyframes on you timeline but it also enables you to change whether the action after the keyframe is smooth or abrupt ( you can make the next frame change without any transition by choosing step)
ease in and ease out are great for improving the look of action
I do cartoons and make music. I like to make music because John K is not likely to tell me I am doing it wrong.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Remember also, no movement is the same as movement.

Don't think of key frames just for "making it move". The computer needs to know when NOT to move as well as move.

Imagine a potter's spinning wheel. The clay on the wheel is the time line. The wheel never stops turning, time is always moving forward. You take a sharp tool and press it against the clay and move it up as the wheel turns making a spiral groove in the clay. Then you stop for a moment, then move up again some more.

There are two "key frames", one where you decided to stop moving the tool against the clay and one where you started again. The wheel never stops moving like the time line of an animation. You have to consciously STOP moving your hand, and decide exactly when to move it again.

Motion and non motion is still an action. Like waiting in a long line. You move forward a bit and stop for 5 minutes. Time keeps moving forward but you aren't moving for exactly 5 minutes. Each end of those 5 minutes is a key frame even if you aren't moving.

-vern