add time to timeline

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

arraknid

add time to timeline

Post by arraknid »

Is it possible to insert a couple of seconds into a timeline easily, or do all events have to be moved manually? We're talking 21 bone layers with associated vectors. The backing track has been altered by adding 2 seconds and I need to resynch it.

TIA :)
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Hmm...not easy man. I think you'll have to maybe make another scene and just join them together in another video editing program, otherwise, ooh ooh wait. In the scripts toolbar I'm sure there's something that says SHIFT TIMELINE ALONG, no wait, in the ANIMATION drop down menu go to RESCALE KEYFRAMES. You'll have to figure out how it works, but that should save you the hassle of moving all the bone layers and associated vector layers' keyframes.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Mikdog wrote:in the ANIMATION drop down menu go to RESCALE KEYFRAMES. You'll have to figure out how it works, but that should save you the hassle of moving all the bone layers and associated vector layers' keyframes.
It's tricky sometimes, but works. I think, anyway, it should be improved. maybe drag in the numbers pressing a key or something.
arraknid

Post by arraknid »

Thanks guys. I saw that but couldn't find anything in the help files to explain it. Is it just me, or are the help files letting this software down? An index would make a big difference.

I'm gonna try it on a file copy first, just in case!! :wink:
toonertime

the friggen manual

Post by toonertime »

I have always thought the manual was
very awkwardly put together and
difficult to navigate. It shouldn't
be so hard to find something in
a manual.
arraknid

Post by arraknid »

OK tried that on a duplicate copy. Good job it was! Totally screwed up the file. Not having an Undo doesn't help, nor does a total lack of instructions on using that feature. I'm still trying to do something with it, but if anyone can point me towards detailed instructions, I'd be very grateful. :D

Considering that all layers are running on the same timeline, it shouldn't be too difficult to add 50 frames. Maybe it isn't, but I sure as hell can't see how.

I can see me doing a manual move on all layers at this rate. :evil:
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

To add fifty frames you need to select 'rescale entire document', enter your current start and end frames, and enter your current start and end frames with fifty added to each.

:wink:
arraknid

Post by arraknid »

If only it were that simple! :(

I've tried every which way and still get a total mess. I'm using one of the included files now and this is what I get.

The movie is 72 frames long so first I change project length to 122, then I enter 1 and 72 in the first boxes. In the second boxes, I enter 51 and 122. Then select 'rescale entire document' and hit OK, then confirm the changes.

I end up with all of the keyframes squashed into the last 40 frames of the movie with no undo. Also, because the default positions are contained at frame 0, there's a very slow movement to the first keyframe, then a sudden flurry of movements at the end.

That isn't what I'm trying to achieve. I think the clue is in the word 'Rescale'. It seems to be a means of stretching or squashing the movie to fit a timescale. Unfortunately, I need to create a space in the middle of the movie and add more animation, which isn't an unusual situation. With any other software, it's simply a matter of adding time and adjusting a few keyframes.

I can't waste any more time on this now, so I'm going to go the manual route. Any other method, like stitching 2 movies together in a movie editor, won't give me the option of editing in the future, so the hard way it is!

If anyone from Lost Marble is reading this, how about an answer or at least the option included in future releases.
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

arraknid wrote:...
I end up with all of the keyframes squashed into the last 40 frames of the movie with no undo. Also, because the default positions are contained at frame 0, there's a very slow movement to the first keyframe, then a sudden flurry of movements at the end.
This is a bug, you can't add the same amount of frames to start and end when rescaling...
Add one more frame to the end and the scene should rescale alright.
arraknid

Post by arraknid »

Thanks Rylleman, that did it! I still need to fiddle with the keyframes a little but the majority of the work is done. Phew!

I tried the same on an old version of MOHO with the same results, which begs the question, why hasn't this been fixed in subsequent versions? It's a pretty basic requirement.

Thanks again. :)