Papagayo Development

Discuss Papagayo issues here

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

InfoCentral

Papagayo Development

Post by InfoCentral »

Has anyone heard if this is still being actively developed or is that as far as it goes?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Papagayo is open source. It is not part of Anime Studio. It's free. I don't think there is any official plans for it. There was someone who did some updates for it a while back for Windows but not the mac.

-vern
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

The developer for Pamela says she now develops for Papagayo and it is a much better program.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

InfoCentral wrote:The developer for Pamela says she now develops for Papagayo and it is a much better program.
That is way cool, maybe he could tell us what is coming for it, are there plans for long time devellopment, new features, etc.

Gilles
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

First of all, it's a "she" not a "he".

Second, as far as I can tell, she hasn't done any work released for public consumption for years now. I tried writing her once a year ago and never got a reply -- not an absolute sign (I may or may not have had the right email address, or it might have expired) but if you are looking for PG development I wouldn't hold my breath.

Thirdly, PG is open source, so just because a certain developer (and she was not the original developer of PG, just someone who was working on a competing product who liked PG better) isn't working on it doesn't mean someone else can't. If you have the programming chops (or want to develop them) you can do so yourself. Or you can try and find another programmer who will. The source can be downloaded the same place you get PG.

I got it once but then realized I'm just never going to be doing this kind of programming again.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

mkelley wrote: I tried writing her once a year ago and never got a reply -- not an absolute sign (I may or may not have had the right email address, or it might have expired) but if you are looking for PG development I wouldn't hold my breath.
Interesting...she replied to me and told me that she stopped working on Pamela and was developing for Papagayo. She said it was a much better program and advised me to go in that direction.
InfoCentral

Open Source?

Post by InfoCentral »

I have been told that Papagayo is open source but when I do a google search I keep coming back to Lost Marble. On file sites that host the program they list Lost Marble as the Author. So is this open source or is it now owned by SmithMicro?
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

On the LostMarble site it says:

Papagayo is licensed under the GPL (GNU General Public License). This means that you are free to download the source code to Papagayo and make modifications to the program itself (as log as you can do a little Python programming). You are free to redistribute these modifications as long as you allow anyone else access to your modified code.

and there is nowhere else I can find that contradicts this, so I would assume it's still true.

As to that author writing you back -- did she actually provide you with any updated PG, or did she just say she was working on it. Or did she say she was working on it for her own use. These are all very different things.

After all, I could tell you I'm working on it (I DID download the source and look at it :>) but whether that helps you or not is highly suspect. My own hunch is that she was developing Pamela for either sale or in-house use and then came across PG and decided to use it, but that no improvements will ever be available *from her* for the general public. But that's just my take on it -- I'd love to be wrong (actually, the biggest improvement to PG, IMHO, would simply be a much wider zoom. Dragging the text in a long passage is the biggest PITA I can think of. The only other thing I'd add might be an additional phoneme or two -- S is noticeably lacking).