holding phonemes or manually adding frames?

Discuss Papagayo issues here

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

BA

holding phonemes or manually adding frames?

Post by BA »

First of all, nice work Lost Marble on another great advancement... the scaling of phrases and words is ingenious.

Now, the questions:

The phonemes seem to be assigned to single keyframes. But often certain sounds are held longer than others. With interpolated switch layers this means a phoneme will begin animating into the next one immediately, regardless of how long that particular sound may be held. This has resulted in some strange-looking animation with words that are spoken slooowwwlllyy...

It doesn't seem that Papa is going to intepret these holds, unless there's something i'm missing (maybe in the next version?)... the next best thing is to manually copy and paste a phoneme-frame in the tweaking stage. I know it's easy to do this within moho once the data has been imported, but I'm wondering if there's a better way to do that within Papa...

Also - is there or will there be any way to expand the phoneme set? For example, adding 'TH' would be nice...
rylleman

Re: holding phonemes or manually adding frames?

Post by rylleman »

BA wrote:Also - is there or will there be any way to expand the phoneme set? For example, adding 'TH' would be nice...
I've just been playing around with this and you can add your own set of mouths with other phonemes.
First create your mouths and save them as 200x200px jpegs named after which sound they represent, save them in a new folder in ../papagayo/mouths.
Now in Papagayo, chose some audio and your new set of mouths, do a phonetic breakdown, click each word for a new spelling, and instead of pressing the buttons you can type in the names of your own shapes and pap. will use those.
It's not that very efficient but I hope LM will add a more official suppport for this, maybe with a button window that checks which phonemes exists in a set of mouths and creates buttons for each one of these.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Re: holding phonemes or manually adding frames?

Post by Lost Marble »

rylleman wrote:...do a phonetic breakdown, click each word for a new spelling...
Actually, that should say right-click each word.

A similar process could be used to extend the hold for a particular phoneme. Right-click the word that contains that phoneme, and add two copies of the phoneme that you want to hold in a row. Back i the waveform view, you can spread them apart to hold that one particular phoneme for a longer duration.
BA

Post by BA »

of course.

this program is too awesome for words. you guys are brilliant.
jakob polack

Post by jakob polack »

hi there....RYLLEMAN - I tried your suggestion...it works nice in papagayo but once i GET TO MOHO THE SWITCH LAYER IS JUST NOt RESPONDInG to all the things ive made in papa
hey look here its my private webspace:
http://uk.geocities.com/jakobpcph/
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Do the sub-layers in your switch layer (the mouth shapes) have the same names as the phonemes you're using in Papagayo? Be sure that the capitalization is the same too - Moho will see a mouth shape named "AI" as different from one named "ai".
jakob polack

Post by jakob polack »

HI THERE... GREAT , NOW IT WORKS...MARVELLOUS... DO YOU BY ANY CHANCE KNOW WHY YOU CANT REOPEN A SESSION IN PAPAGAYO...IF I SAVE A PGO FILE ITS EMPTY THE NEXT TIME I OPEN IT.... NOT NICE :(

JAKOB
BA

Post by BA »

one more thing that could/should be fixed:

after aligning the words in papagayo, it seems that the dat file places a 'rest' position frame at the end of words (if there's any space between words)...

but it only places one rest frame at the beginning of the pause. With interpolated switches, this results in the mouth immediately beginning to animate towards the first frame of the new word.

can papa be tweaked to place a rest frame not just at the beginning of pauses, but at the end too?
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

jakob polack wrote:...CANT REOPEN A SESSION IN PAPAGAYO...
When you try to reopen it, is it missing the audio waveform, the words, or both? Can you open the completed .pgo files in the "Tutorial Files" folder included with Papagayo?
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

BA wrote:can papa be tweaked to place a rest frame not just at the beginning of pauses, but at the end too?
Yes, I'm sure that could be added when we do an update.
jakob polack

Post by jakob polack »

hi lm - pgo. file works well. its my own files that are empty....its no so cool...like to know why... by trhe way its plain empty - no audio file no words no nothing : (

regards

jakob polack
Last edited by jakob polack on Mon May 02, 2005 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jakob polack

Post by jakob polack »

hi lm - by the way i`m missing both audio and words material - its plain empty...sigh

jakob
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

jakob, can you post a link to one of your .pgo files, or email it to support@lostmarble.com?