MAC 10.6.2 and the elusive mouths folder

Discuss Papagayo issues here

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

jeff740x

MAC 10.6.2 and the elusive mouths folder

Post by jeff740x »

Like others before me, I am unable to see the mouths folder.

I am in 10.6.2. The Papagayo About displays nothing so I can't list a version. It was downloaded within the last month.
I get the same results on a standard or on a adminstrator MAC account.

Heyvern posted a MAC screenshot of the file folders. Unlike his screen shot, I do not see the Help, nor RSRC, nor Mouths folder on my MAC. (I realize the mouth folder must exist - but I can't see it.)

I read advice from Nolan Scott to use a control-click to perform a show package contents - but in my case the keystrokes just opened the folder - and I not see a "package contents" view or button.

Any guidance from MAC users?
jeff740x
Anime Studio Pro 7 Build 20100604p
MAC OS X 10.6.2
jeff740x

Try this sequence

Post by jeff740x »

After I posted the question, I did these steps...

1. Start in the Finder.
2. Click Go.
3. Click Applications.
4. Click the twistie for the Papagayo folder.
5. Control-Click the Papagayo icon (Parrot).
6. Click Show Package Contents.

Now I see the Mouths folder and the other "missing" folders.

Next challenge is to leverage this discovery.
jeff740x
MAC OS X 10.6.2

Post by 94253 »

Thank you! I was trying to use the "Extended dictionary" but figured I just had to create my own "rsrc/dictionaries" folder inside the Applications/Papagayo folder. Once I view the package contents, I can place the files right in there.

Is there some reason some of us can see the folders and some cannot? I know with Windows sometimes you are not actually an "administrator" when you think you are. I suppose my Apple is probably smart enough to not let me have enough permissions to break it...which is what I would probably do...accidentally of course!
jeff740x

MAC Administrator

Post by jeff740x »

I recently started using a MAC, so I don't have any real expertise.

The family uses the MAC, so I setup one Administrator account, a guest account, and standard accounts for family members. The standard accounts are well behaved with all the Apple software. For example, if a download is required, then the software prompts for the Administration Account and Password. And everyone can save, find, edit all of their files with the standard accounts.

I use the Administration account to load new software --- and after a frustrating learning curve, use the Administration account when dealing with application files that are not managed by the software - i.e. Papagayo files.
jeff740x
MAC OS X 10.6.2
livemixer

Post by livemixer »

94253 wrote:Is there some reason some of us can see the folders and some cannot?
In Mac OS X, folders can be designated as "packages." This causes them to appear in Finder as single files instead of the folder with items in it it really is. This cuts down on visual clutter & avoids some otherwise tedious things like having to drill down into an application package folder to the actual executable binary file that is the application to launch it. It also hides files you shouldn't touch without knowing what you are doing from casual view. :)

When you do need to look inside or change the contents of these packages, just right (or control) click on the item in a Finder view. This pops up a contextual menu. One of its choices is "Show package contents." Choose that & the package folder opens in a new Finder window. In that window, you treat it like any other open folder. As long as you have adequate privileges to change its contents, you can do that. Some folders require admin privileges, some don't.
Mac OS 10.6.3; 3.06 GHz 24" iMac; AS Debut & Pro, both currently at 6.2 versions.
jeff740x

Post by jeff740x »

Thanks for clarification on packages.
jeff740x
MAC OS X 10.6.2