Unofficial Update

Discuss Papagayo issues here

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

alanthebox

Unofficial Update

Post by alanthebox »

I'd like to share an unofficial Papagayo update that nobody asked for! I figured with advances in voice recognition technology, you could automate some of the text input into Papagayo, so, I hired someone to do just that. While we were at it, we also re-skinned it. There are probably some bugs that need to be worked out, but in my tests it's been 75 - 85% accurate in capturing / applying voice to text (less so when the speech is fast or a weird voice is used).

Currently, it's Windows / English only, and only supports mono 16-bit WAV files. I always hated the way Papagayo would reset your sync if you happened to forget/miss a word, so, we also added a new way to insert words with a caption drag button. You can toggle the phonemes on and off in the view menu.

Anyhow, give it a shot if you want! I mostly commissioned this because most of my cartoons are unscripted and I dislike typing text into Papagayo. I had planned on keeping it to myself (since I didn't want to offer any type of support), but it's all open-source, so, I figured I'd just put it out there as is.

https://www.alanthebox.com/autolipsync-o-tizer
Last edited by alanthebox on Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Unofficial Update

Post by Víctor Paredes »

This is very interesting and it's working great! Even with a few understandable crashes, it's very impressive.
Thank you!
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

No problem! If development of Moho ever continues, it'd be great to see something like this incorporated directly in the software!
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Wow, super cool!
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Appears to work very well at recognizing, generating and spacing out the words. Pretty much how I hoped Papagayo was gonna work - when I first tried it. :D

It's also good that you can edit the text in the graph display. Editing text in the lower panel threw things out of sync (which might be expected?).

I think there could be a couple of minor improvements:
- play/stop via keyboard / spacebar
- save as
- tool tips (i.e. I don't know what the little speech thing is next to play button?)

Also a query... Is there a reason why you have a different file format name i.e. LSC vs PGO? As it means an extra renaming step for anyone who might wish to use this as a very handy preprocessor to one of the many Papagayo variants out there (i.e. Papagayo-NG - my current preference).

Overall - Well done. Pretty cool stuff.

p.s. You might also want to host it on GitHub rather than Google drive.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

You know, I'm not actually sure why my developer changed the file format and I honestly didn't test that functionality out since, in my workflow, I pretty much never saved in Papagayo (just generate timings, export, call it a day). Perhaps I'll give it a couple of weeks to see if other features are requested and then I'll look into re-hiring the developer to make some adjustments.

The speech bubble icon next to the play button can be dragged onto the waveform to add additional text to the audio, but yes, some tooltips or a simple help window would certainly be a good thing to add.

Lastly, I'll look into getting it on GitHub!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to do this and sharing it.

Downloading the files now and will give it a spin this weekend.
ryanirobs

Post by ryanirobs »

Wow I gotta say this small tool is working wonders for me so far! Why haven’t I seen anyone attempt this already? I’ve been using it in blender and this has improved my workflow greatly!! Please continue working on this, I’ll personally send you funds for the continued development haha.
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

glad you're finding it useful! honestly, i'm not really sure what future development of this program would really look like, so, please let me know if you have any specific requests.
mgo

Post by mgo »

This looks very interesting. Is a macOS version planned?
🚀
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

mgo wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:55 pm This looks very interesting. Is a macOS version planned?
I'm afraid not. I commissioned this tool for myself and, well, I don't use a Mac. Sorry!
chucky

Post by chucky »

Oh wow! :D :D :D
It works so well and it's so beautifully designed!
Thanks so much for sharing Alan(thebox), I'm amazed.
DonSphinx

Post by DonSphinx »

Sounds great and thanks for the initiative but unfortunately I can't run it on my old laptop. Do have the minimum system requirements for it to run?

Whenever I try to install it the file appears for a while on my processes list in Task Manager then it ends and nothing starts!
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

DonSphinx wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:36 am Sounds great and thanks for the initiative but unfortunately I can't run it on my old laptop. Do have the minimum system requirements for it to run?

Whenever I try to install it the file appears for a while on my processes list in Task Manager then it ends and nothing starts!
Just to confirm, you're extracting all the files from the ZIP into a new folder, and then launching the EXE from that folder?

(Sorry, sent you a PM as well, but can't tell if the message was sent successfully)