New Mouth shapes

Discuss Papagayo issues here

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

REELFUNNY

Post by REELFUNNY »

thanks to nolan for control-click, i was able to get to the mouths folder. so, i added a new folder called "my mouths", and added a couple of jpegs to it to test, then i pulled up papa. papa shows my folder "my mouths", but it doesn't show the jpegs inside. i feel like i'm about to have an epiphany, like it's in the palm of my hand, like the world will make sense...of course i feel like that with the lottery too...anyway i'm almost there, but don't know why papa doesn't show contents of folder. sometimes i feel like i'm running OS-KITTEN iso tiger.

by the way, i read about the young man who just got AS and about "running around in the garden." LOL. thanks
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Do you have all of the mouth shapes needed?

If you only put in a few... maybe Papagayo needs to have all of them to display them. Just a guess.

Are the images named properly? They MUST have the same names as the images in the other mouth folders.

When I tested it at the beginning I just duplicated one of the existing mouth folders and changed it's name. This way I was starting off with a working set up. After that replacing the images was all I worried about.

-vern
myles

Post by myles »

You probably need to have a file called "rest.jpg" - that's the default one shown before you load a sound file and break down any text.

Keep your file sizes at 200x200 and JPEG format.

Then, you either need to use the same filenames (including upper and lower case) as the existing mouth files, as Vern said, or...

You can name your files anything (you probably still need to end in .jpg), but you need to manually edit the breakdown phonemes to match your images.

For instance, see Vern's post here on changing word breakdown manually.

In that example you'd need to have a viseme file called KICKME.jpg in your mouths folder in order to see it in the preview.

Only when your breakdown phonemes show on the timeline and match the filenames (in upper and lower case, and it's probably best to not use spaces or accented characters) will the preview images show up.

Papagayo reads the phoneme names from the Papagayo breakdown timeline, and looks for .jpg files to match.
If it doesn't find a matching filename it will either show a blank or leave the previous phoneme visible.

Note: to change the automatic breakdown phonemes, you would need to edit the Papagayo source code (phonemes.py, I think).

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
Nolan Scott

Post by Nolan Scott »

Create 10 separate mouths-shapes in your favorite drawing-application
(I use Illustrator or Photoshop) pixel-size 200 x 200.
Name those files AI - E - etc - FV - L - MBP -O - rest - U - WQ
and save them as “.jpg” into a folder you name “3 - Mouth 3”. (or else)

Drag this folder into “Papagayos.app” - “mouth” folder.
(you might be ask for “Authentication” - type your OSX password and your new folder
will be inside Papagayos mouth-folder.

Start up Papagayo (you might get a warning message like “no bitmap handler for type 50 defined)
just ignore it and click OK - from the “mouth-shape-drop-down” select your newly created mouth-shapes.

Cheers
Nolan
REELFUNNY

Post by REELFUNNY »

yayyyyyy!!!!! that's what it took. i had my mouths re-named, and in jpeg format, and blah blah, but i couldn't **see** the mouth because the picture was too big ( i created the mouths off-center, duh!). i re-sized it to 200 x 200, and voila!

thanks for everyones help, and when i get to the point where i know somewhat what **i'm** doing, maybe i can help someone!

thanks again!
REELFUNNY

Post by REELFUNNY »

hi everyone, it's me again...(boy, that didn't take long)

when i try to export a voice, it's supposed to export as a .dat file. it wont, unless i type .dat at the end of the file name. i don't think that's good enough to turn it into a .dat file, because when i pull up the .dat file in AS, it shows the keyframes, but it doesn't do any mouth-switching. but doesn't seem like i should have to type .dat at the end of the export name, because the default is supposed to be .dat?

i've tried some other work-arounds, but nothing
thanks
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

because when i pull up the .dat file in AS, it shows the keyframes, but it doesn't do any mouth-switching.
Okay, that means it IS working. If you get the key frames the dat file is reading correctly.

In order for those keys to control the switch layer the layers in the switch need to have the proper names.

You need a layer for EACH phoneme used in Papapgayo. It is case sensitive and there should be no other characters in the layer name but those listed below.

This is the list that I have memorized :) in no particular order:

AI
O
U
etc
E
rest
FV
MBP
L
WQ

You must have layers in the switch with those names. If a layer is missing than the key for that particular phoneme just won't do anything. If you have other layers with different names they won't do anything either unless you used those names in Papagayo.

-vern
REELFUNNY

Post by REELFUNNY »

it worked great! what a learning experience... thanks for all the help!
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Don't forget:

A .dat file is just a text file. That's it. The only thing the .dat extension is used for in AS or Papagayo is to tell it that this is the type of file to open. It isn't a funky format or anything like that. Just plain normal old fashioned text.

There is no "special" way to save it as long as it has .dat at the end. What may happen that I've heard is that .txt is added to the end of the .dat extension when editing and saving it with another program on Windows.

-vern
fery_Y

hi

Post by fery_Y »

hi guy
+ (( 3- mouth 3 ))
image is jpg format -------------> but ?
aRh

Re: hi

Post by aRh »

fery_Y wrote:hi guy
+ (( 3- mouth 3 ))
image is jpg format -------------> but ?
Please del file with name Thumbs.db , this is a hidden file, make your windows explorer able to read hidden file first.
Mike McGrane

Papagayo Works.

Post by Mike McGrane »

After a long frustrating experiment with lip syncing, and several posts on these forums. I have finally have mastered the lip sync. Thanks to all of you for the tips and advice posted here by mkelley, HeyVern and all. Got a lil' jersey anime "how you doing!" to post and share. Bear in mind that this is a work in progress. So don't be too hypercritical. Its fun for me and I enjoy this stuff. To students and Pro's alike ....The tutorials are spread around but reading them thoroughly several times helps. Thanks to their authors. Now to get it uploaded.
tiannaidan

new mouths

Post by tiannaidan »

To use my own mouth shapes I place MY FOLDER inside the mouths folder? I just look for the name I gave that folder when using pagagayo?
Doodlyday

Re: New Mouth shapes

Post by Doodlyday »

A bit late on this, but I have the same problem and when I look at the Package Contents, then Resources, there are no mouth folders or .jpgs.
muddcliff

Re: New Mouth shapes

Post by muddcliff »

Changing mouth shapes in Version 2.0B1 can only be done by compiling the program in QT.
I'm currently checking it out on windows I may one day have a release with updates for windows, other OS's I can't do.

If you download the 1.2 version you will find the \papagayo\rsrc\mouths folder. In there that is where the mouth images are. I suggest try replacing some.
It seems the .dat files created in v2 will work in v1.