Mouths and Stuff

Discuss Papagayo issues here

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

Nicolemiller2

Mouths and Stuff

Post by Nicolemiller2 »

I am new to Papagayo, and have an ok understanding of Moho, but don't use it frequently.
I have a bunch of mouths that I created, but when i brought them into moho as jpegs, my layer was large and white with a picture on it.
Should i bring in my image files as pngs? Will they workl?
In what format should I save my mouth files>
I know that I have to make them switch layers, but I don't know how to get them to work in moho.
I can use Papagayo fine.
Any help?
myles

Post by myles »

PNG will work - however, unless you create transparent/alpha areas in the PNGs you will get the same effect as the JPEGs.
If you use bitmaps (e.g. PNGs) in Moho, you need to get an understanding of alpha/transparency and how to create it in your software.
You may also wish to crop your mouth bitmaps closer to the mouth drawing itself.

You can also create vector mouth layers - Moho vector layers are automatically transparent except where you create fill shapes and outlines.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
Nicolemiller2

Mouth shapes in order?

Post by Nicolemiller2 »

One thing I found out last night is that when you use papagayo, generally, your mouth shapes don't need to be in any particular order.
However, the ETC mouth shape has to be at the top, otherwise, between words, whatever mouth shape is at the top will be the one your character rests their speech in.

I had a cartoon constantly pursing their lips in between words because O was my top mouthshape.

ANYhoo....
myles

Post by myles »

Did you create a mouth switch layer called "rest"?

I thought Papagayo usually inserted the rest position between words.
However, I don't think Papagayo inserts a starting keyframe, so if your speech doesn't start from frame 1 you may need to either insert a rest keyframe at the beginning or, as you have said, put the rest layer at the top.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

There needs to be a rest shape in your lip synch switch.

I would assume if you don't have a rest shape... it would probably use the first one in the list. I have not encountered this situation.

What might be happening is that whatever mouth position was used last is the one that is "held" till the next change.

I usually specifically put in mouth positions in Papagayo so that I don't get those odd mouth position holds.

Also once in Moho I often add in a "rest" keyframe to keep the mouth static till the character begins to speak... or I put in whatever mouth "expression" would suit the moment... maybe a smile... or a frown.

-vern