differences between papagayo preview and AS switching

Discuss Papagayo issues here

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

desta1972

differences between papagayo preview and AS switching

Post by desta1972 »

Hallo,
I set up my mouth switch layer in AS, with all the needed phonemes. Now, when i test the lipsync in papagayo everyting's ok, but when i assign the dat file to my switch layer, every "etc" status has been replaced by another (no matter wich one, AI, E, F... but NOT the "etc" status). Can it depend on the sublayers sorting in my switch layer? Or do I have to select an initial status before assigning the .dat file?
Little bit confused...
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Make sure the layer is spelled correctly. If you used the "etc" in Papagayo it should use that switch layer in AS.

If the "etc" is not spelled correctly or isn't lower case, it won't be used in AS.

Order of the layers in the switch doesn't matter. Just the spelling and case usage.

-vern
desta1972

Post by desta1972 »

mmmhhh, i've checked out my AS file, and the etc status was written correctly... perhaps is the error due to those blank frames (without any pink-squared-phoneme-marker under the papagayo's waveform?).
these are the steps i use to do:
1. I usually first adjust the lenght of the green top line (the whole spoken phrase)
2. then I adjust the lenghts of the single words starting from the end of the wav (otherwise i'm unable to slide them rightwards)
3. Finally, i move the phonemes in the right place, but i didn't care about the gaps in between. I thought they were automatically interpreted as "etc" switches.

Is there something wrong in this method?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

No, as far as I see you've done correctly.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

You may misunderstand what "etc" stands for.

etc refers to the "sound" and is sort of an all in one mouth position for the letters "E, T, C".

The default pose is called "rest". Make sure you have a "rest" pose. This is the pose used when no other pose is indicated, or "activated" in Papagayo.

-vern
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

heyvern wrote:etc refers to the "sound" and is sort of an all in one mouth position for the letters "E, T, C".
You're right about the "rest" mouth, but wrong about etc. It stands for a whole bunch of other sounds. It's not the letters E, T, C, but the abbreviation for et cetera (etc.).

Any sound that isn't one of the other mouth shapes should generally use the "etc" mouth. For example, the sounds for "th", "t", "s", "y".

Try right-clicking a word in the waveform view to see a list of the supported phonemes.
artfx

Post by artfx »

Just out of curiosity, since I am not at a place where I can test this right now, does it matter if you also have many mouth shapes which would not be used by Papagayo?
----
Terrence Walker
Studio ArtFX
LEARN HOW TO Make YOur Own Animated Film!
Get Video Training to Show You How!
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

The data format of the .dat file is just so simple (it is a plain text file):

Code: Select all

MohoSwitch1
1 O
12 etc
16 U
20 etc
29 E
36 FV
(Oh, good grief!)

There are two fields in a line, separated by a space. The first field is the frame number, and the second field the name of the switched layer. This means that layer names that are not specified, are not switched.

So yes, you can have more layers in a switch than there are phonemes in the .dat file. You can even edit the .dat file to switch those extra layers at the appropriate frames. A good example would be some extra movement of the nose, when you animation nose, mouth and lower jaw with the same switch layer.

Eye blinks, frowns of the eyebrows, and other facial expressions can be animated just as easily, by creating a .dat file based on the dat file of the speech. You simply add a "blink" at the appropriate frame(s). The phonemes are ignored (if there are no layers in the eyes' switch layer with those names).
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Lost Marble wrote: You're right about the "rest" mouth, but wrong about etc. It stands for a whole bunch of other sounds. It's not the letters E, T, C, but the abbreviation for et cetera (etc.).
No no! Your are wrong about this I am sure! I don't care if you call yourself "Lost Marble" or "Lost in Space"... I am RIGHT dammit!

<sigh>

Man, I am the idiot today...

;)

Sorry for spreading my confusion... I've had a rough day. I found out I was fired from a web project when they changed all the server passwords and canceled my email administrative privileges... nice huh? They weren't paying their bills anyway. They will find it difficult to get the raw psd files... shame I didn't back those up.
;)

-vern
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

heyvern wrote:They will find it difficult to get the raw psd files... shame I didn't back those up.
...not quite the idiot then...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?