Problems with Word Alignment

Discuss Papagayo issues here

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

VidE

Problems with Word Alignment

Post by VidE »

I've got a 41 sec wav. file and the text to go with it. Papagayo (1.2 on an Intel Mac) got jerkily responsive when dealing with what amounted to a paragraph of text. So I re-imported the audio, copied in half of the text and it responded much smoother.

However, every once in awhile, Papagayo seems to think that it needs to realign all my words, screwing up what's turning into hours of work. Any ideas why? It's as though, after carefully stretching out all my phonemes, the program decides to contract the alignment back to its original default. (And no, I did not hit the button that breaks it sown into phonemes again.) I'll try the windows version and hopefully, the Mac version of AS Pro will recognize the .dat files.
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

There are several reasons why this happens - hitting the space bar is one.

You may find it better to break the paragraphing to small sentences within papagayo - so instead of Mary had a little lamb, the doctors were surprised.
try
Mary had a little lamb, the doctors were surprised.

THis way, only the words within the green zone get respaced. And save al the time.

Alternatively, split the audio file into smaller segments - 41 seconds is a hell of a scene length.

I now use papagotoMod - seems a little more robust when editing dialogue. Papagayo is a great tool and can save hours of work. But it can be a little user unfriendly.

Rhoel
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

If you have made edits to the word spacing and phonemes and you drag the larger sentence or phrase section at the top it will "revert" the adjustments you made to anything below.

You should do refinements from the top down. Start with the big full "sentence" or line. Then move down to the words... then to the individual phonemes.

Just remember if you adjust something higher up it will mess up anything adjusted below it.

And yes... break up long phrases into small chunks. Listen to the audio to determine logical places to break the text. It might even be in between words or sentences. Look for long pauses and gaps to put in breaks. This will make life easier in the long run for lining things up.

-vern
VidE

Post by VidE »

Thanks guys. While I am not completely smooth with Papagayo, I actually had put your suggestions to use. It didn't really matter. It still crapped out. So I switched over to the Windows version and everything worked like a breeze.

Vern, it sounds like you have a Mac, If I remember right. Maybe you use the 'mod' version reffered to? For me, Papagayo on my Intel Mac with OS 10.4.9, is a disaster. Period.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I've done quite a bit of lip sync using Papagayo on the mac.

Yes it is a bit slow at times but I could get quite a bit done and it was MUCH faster than doing lip sync in AS which has NO tools at all for speeding up lip sync.

The key on the mac was very very short audio clips. I also found some speed up by using really low resolution audio to do the lip syncing.

The modded version of Papagayo is not available for the mac as far as I know. I have a PC but I haven't used it for Papagayo yet. I still feel more comfortable on the Mac.

I now use a Papagayo/AS script combo that uses actions instead of switch layers. My action/phonemes are bone based so I can tweak it more in AS after running the .dat import from Papagayo.

-vern
toonertime

verntoons?

Post by toonertime »

hey vern
you are one of the great guides of this forum
and i was just wondering
if we can see any of your work?
Patmals

Re: verntoons?

Post by Patmals »

toonertime wrote:hey vern
and i was just wondering
I agree!
I want to see something from Vern and Genete.
They are kind enough to give time for information but i see almost nothing of complete or work in progress from them.

put the bones to the metal guys, i am sure what you guys could make would be rather special

COMMON!
:D
Genete

Re: verntoons?

Post by Genete »

Patmals wrote:
toonertime wrote:hey vern
and i was just wondering
I agree!
I want to see something from Vern and Genete.
They are kind enough to give time for information but i see almost nothing of complete or work in progress from them.

put the bones to the metal guys, i am sure what you guys could make would be rather special

COMMON!
:D
Ouch!
My drawings abilities are awful!!! I have hundred of trials but nothing interesting at all!!!! (Glups) I KNOW very well the program but my animation results are so bad. If you don't believe me just review my posts in the Share Your work area. All of them are WIP or not finished animations.

I'm doing my best on an old abandoned project that I want to finish. Sure I'll share with all of you.

But Vern have incredible things on the forum.... look here

and I'm still learning to draw... :(
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

You will see something soon.

I am entering my Happy Bear animation in the animation contest at www.crackle.com.

I don't have much time left to finish. I am going to enter just the first episode which is about 5 minutes give or take and depending on final editing.

I am still trying to crack the whip and get my brother to finish up the dialog. He is getting some local actors to do some of the voices. I'm cutting it close.

If I don't get done in time I will post it on youtube or crackle.com. Crackle offers higher quality upload.

I have another project I've been working on for a while but I just can't show it at this time.

I have a bunch of smaller animations I have done over the last couple of years posted in the forum... I really need to organize it and post them on my web site.

Things career wise will be changing for me soon and should give me more time and resources to spend on my animations. It is hard to find the enthusiasm and time when I have to keep food on the table and the lights on doing "real" work. ;)

-vern