How do you make mouths and movments?

Discuss Papagayo issues here

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

FWal

How do you make mouths and movments?

Post by FWal »

I've downloaded Papagayo but I havent used it yet. One thing that concerns me is I dont know how to make mouths and movments for them in the first place. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Meh.
myles

Post by myles »

Mouth phonemes are just regular vector or image layers, place them all as children of a Switch layer.

Position them over a face without a mouth, and bind the switch layer to the same bone that controls the face/head.

Your phoneme layers need to have exactly the same name and case as the phonemes Papagayo generates: AI, O, E, U, etc, L, WQ, FV, and MBP. It also helps to throw in a layer called rest for the mouth position between words and sentences.

If you create one generic phoneme vector layer, then duplicate and rename it for all the phoneme layers, you can set the switch parent layer to use interpolation (smooth morphing between mouth shapes).

Otherwise, by default it uses step interpolation, jumping directly from one mouth shape to another (the 2D equivalent of the mouth movement you see in Aardman Animations clay animation such as Wallace and Gromit).

Use Papagayo to generate and position the keyframes, export to a .dat file, and import that into the AS Switch parent layer as the Switch data, which creates the keyframes. See Tutorial 5.2 for details on this stage.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
FWal

Post by FWal »

Thanks alot Myles!
Meh.