Final Cut Express Audio files to Papagayo? Is it Possible?

Discuss Papagayo issues here

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

acevesandres

Final Cut Express Audio files to Papagayo? Is it Possible?

Post by acevesandres »

Hello everybody, My knowledge on ASP has been evolving from cero, to where I am in my self-learning 2d animation adventure... so for that I thank all of you.

But now I find myself forced to ask the questions, for I havent been able to find such answers to these questions anywhere...

I can't seem to export an audio file from Final Cut Express to Papagayo, When I save it as AIFF = .aif (with one f) weird. then I switch or convert it into .aiff (double f) ok, now it appears that I have what papagayo needs, but it doesn't even open it.

Am I missing something? the audio file I'm trying to import into Papagayo is 4 minutes 30 seconds long...

Is there a time limit to work in papagayo?

oh and, What is the relationship between Moho and ASP? is it pretty much the same thing?

thanks.
-Andrés
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I think Papagayo and ASP only support .wav format for audio. I've never tried using an .aif but I don't think it will work.

As far as the extension and the number of F's at the end... doesn't really matter. It is the same extension. Generally in the early days of computer only 3 letter extensions were allowed.

-vern
Nolan Scott

Post by Nolan Scott »

Please make sure that your .aif-files are 16 bits 44.1 kHz.
(48 kHz wont work)

Cheers
Nolan
acevesandres

Post by acevesandres »

"I think Papagayo and ASP only support .wav format for audio. I've never tried using an .aif but I don't think it will work."

I'm 99% sure .aiff works on papagayo, apperantly is the .wav version of Mac.

.aif at 16 bits 44.1 kHz. (stereo? or mono? does it matter? becouse papagayo is still not recognizing it)

could it be that my papagayo version is broken in some way? would it help if I download it again?

Thank you heyvern and Nolan Scott... any new ideas?
-Andrés
acevesandres

Post by acevesandres »

I think it has to do with the length of the file.

I made considerable amount of tests, and the files that are short, (less than a minute) work in papagayo perfectly well... now I recorded a room tone about 4 minutes 30 sec long... It was created the same way than the shorter ones... the waveform does not appear and somehow when I place the mouse on top of where it's suppose to be... It sounds if like i'm scrolling back and forward on the time line... weird.

I guess my question is... Is this something that happens to everybody?, have you imported into papagayo audio that is 4 minutes long or longer?

thank you... I don't know, I'm afraid I'll have to segment it into smaller pieces then... what do you think?
-Andrés
Nolan Scott

Post by Nolan Scott »

Well, I presume you are directly exporting either out of FCE to Soundtrack,
or from Soundtrack = Export Mix / Export Selected Track.
With that you just create an “Apple Loop” that might not be readable by Papagayo.

Open that file with QuickTime and Export / Sound to AIFF,
in the Options make sure the Rate is set to 44.1 kHz.
Import that file into Papagayo.
Instead of QuickTime, maybe you like to import/export with Amadeus or Audacity,
should both work as well.

Regarding the lenght of the soundfile, I just did a test with a 6 minutes long file and it worked nicely.
Papagayo seems a little slow, but still working.
It might be a good idea to keep the file length as short as possible.

Which version of Papagayo you are using ?

Cheers
Nolan
acevesandres

Post by acevesandres »

I'm using Version 1.2, why when I export from FCE as AIFF it appears as .aif (with one f) and then it says AIFC when I check the properties of the file just created? it should be saying AIFF

gracias amigo
-Andrés
acevesandres

Post by acevesandres »

oh, I'm not using Sountrack.

My workflow is: FCE (audio mixing) to Papagayo, then ASP to animate and sync the reference sountrack created in FCE and the mouth actions from papagayo, then back to FCE to edit it over the original soundtrack.

this is my solution for not having sync problems when working with ASP.

For example, if I create in papagayo a .dat file that needs to be in the middle of the story, presuming I imported the desired soundtrack into ASP already, then I would have to sincronize the mouth movements "by hand",

my big plan was not to do it "by hand" but have it in sync from the very beginning inside papagayo

Am I doing something unpractical? or that is how you would do it?

thank you
-Andrés
Nolan Scott

Post by Nolan Scott »

Hi Andrés,

Well, I presume over time everyone is developing his or her own style of doing things,
as long as you feel “practical” and comfortable about the way you are doing things...
that’s most important... - all what matters, is the outcome, isn’t it...

Lip-syncing I do mostly directly in the timeline, with just the mouth visible,
works fast and efficient, at least for me.
(of course my projects are all very short, no long dialogues)

Cheers
Nolan
acevesandres

Post by acevesandres »

Thank you Nolan...

I found that I have to fragment my file into small pieces, becouse my papagayo wont support larger files... is there another software similar to papagayo that works with ASP?
-Andrés
Nolan Scott

Post by Nolan Scott »

Well, no freeware I know of, but you can give those a “Test-Drive”:

http://www.thirdwishsoftware.com/magpiepro.html

http://www.katsurashareware.com/pgs/soundframes.html
(not sure if this one works with Anime Studio)

Cheers
Nolan
Sheik Yabouti

Post by Sheik Yabouti »

acevesandres

If you had to do it in smaller sections, how small did they have to be and how did you import them into anime studio? didn't they overwrite each other?

Thanks, Bill