need animator and othersfor new unofficial dragonball series

Want to hire an Moho animator? Post your job listing here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

LukeBaxter77

need animator and othersfor new unofficial dragonball series

Post by LukeBaxter77 »

hello, my name is Luke and me and my good friend Ben love the anime Dragonball, ben is a life long lover and i think has saw every episode of every series and has numerous games, i have like it all my life but only saw the first fifty or so episodes of the original series and am currently watching the start of GT,

THE ANIMATOR

we want to make a new series the animator will not have to do anything except animate unless he/she wants to voice act or help with story/script, we regret to inform you as we do not have a lot of money the animator wont be paid, the series will be put onto youtube and if it gets publicity and starts to earn money then the animator and others will be paid

VOICE ACTORS

voice actors will not have to do anything but voice act unless of course they want to help aswell with the script we regret to inform we cant pay, we are looking for voice actors of all kinds experienced or in-experienced

we hope you will want to apply

Luke Baxter
[/b]
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

1st of all, If you are going to pitch something, at least use proper grammar. This is a total fail.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
LukeBaxter77

Post by LukeBaxter77 »

sbtamu wrote:1st of all, If you are going to pitch something, at least use proper grammar. This is a total fail.
in what way is it a total fail and im sorry but your animation style is more for flash videos we want a original dragonball drawing style
jahnocli

Re: ...

Post by jahnocli »

LukeBaxter77 wrote:
sbtamu wrote:1st of all, If you are going to pitch something, at least use proper grammar. This is a total fail.
in what way is it a total fail and im sorry but your animation style is more for flash videos we want a original dragonball drawing style
This is funny for all the wrong reasons. Firstly, you are putting someone's style down who hasn't even "applied" for your project. Secondly, you don't even know you have a problem with grammar (Hint -- proper names begin with capital letters, the readability of long sentences is improved with punctuation, and so on). Thirdly, "...the animator will not have to do anything except animate"!!??? (Unless he or she agrees to do some more unpaid work, of course). Fourthly, "original dragonball drawing style"? You can have an original style, or a dragonball drawing style, but not both...

Fifthly, "we hope you will want to apply"? You mean, I could be rejected from a non-paying project whose "producers" have nothing to show and can't even put a pitch together? You want something for nothing, you need to supply something more than enthusiasm.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Thought I'd share a blog link I ran across at another animation forum:

How Much does Animation Cost?

excerpt:
"I just simply don’t know what it is about art that makes people think it’s so easy to do. Why do people think animation is cheap to produce? Is it the fact that we can all pick up a pencil? We all have ideas? We’ve seen so much of it we think we know what stuff should look like?

I don’t know… but I will tell you the average client puts no value on artwork.

None.

They can’t at the prices they expect artists to work for them.

I have had people ask me for an entire 22 minute television show and want to pay me $100 to make it. No I’m not kidding. That would take me a year to do by the way. I have had people want me to draw 300 panels of art for their children’s book for $300. That’s a dollar a drawing. I have had people want me to produce a full color 22 minute storyboard for less than $250 bucks.

I have also had people call me up and berate me when I won’t do work for these insane prices.

There are 24 animation drawings per second of film. times that by 60 and you get 1,440. That’s how many drawings per minute it takes to produce animation. times that by 22 ( the average half hour show length) and you get over 30,000 drawings.

Think how long it takes you [the client] to draw just one drawing and you get a pretty good idea why animation is expensive.

..."
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Big thanx for that link. Although he gets some numbers not quite right, the overall direction is OK.
Manu

Re: need animator and othersfor new unofficial dragonball se

Post by Manu »

LukeBaxter77 wrote:...the series will be put onto youtube and if it gets publicity and starts to earn money then the animator and others will be paid...
Correction: Once you start getting publicity and you start to earn money, Akira Toriyama will be suing your ass off.
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Anyone who decides to make a fan film / series is showing they have no imagination or idea's of their own surely?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I wouldn't be so harsh. Many artists started as fans, most will show influences of others in their work, and that's OK. This is common especially in animation, where a first reaction to some animation would be "I want to do the same!" Only after some time it's sorted out who will only want to do "the same" as in "my favourite series/character", and who wants to do animation in general. And even later this group will split into amateurs and pros (which doesn't say much about their skills).
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Slowtiger I agree totally but there's a huge difference between being influenced by some great plece of work and intending to do a new version of it using their artwork and character's. I'm hugely influenced by lots of things. Sometimes I only realise when someone points it out and I find it's been stuck in my subconscious somewhere, but deliberately setting out to do a version of Sonic the Hedgehog or something just seems odd to me.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I remember how I started. I took some comic strips and made them into poorly animated films. I built a model starship and let it fly like in Star Wars, using the same technique: double exposure on Super 8! I used a puppet for a stop motion swordfight, the lightsaber being a piece of tin foil turned so it reflected a lamp into camera ... I was 15 at that time. Later I re-created scenes from favourite films, like the bird-like cutout character from Franz Winzentsens early shorts, or some multiplane drawings from a now unremembered east european film. At that time I was already attending film festivals and rooted the local library for anything related to animation and art.

I'd say that opening your mind and broaden your horizon lets you evolve from being a fan to being an artist in your own right.
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

Come on guys, it's obviously a kid who's just over-enthusiastic about the idea. Didn't you ever start a mis-guided or over-ambitious project when you were young?

You're treating him like he's a Hollywood producer looking to deliberately exploit hard-working animators.

He and his friend will find out the hard way as soon as they actually start trying to do anything proper. Then they'll either give up or they'll do more rigorous research on what has to be done.

No professional will give up their time to help them at this stage, the only people who would be exploited would be naive inexperienced and probably untalented noobs, who would also learn a valuable life lesson. So no harm done.

Slowtiger has the right approach. He's being a positive role-model to them. Better than all this negativity.

Of course, it's been over 12 hours since the OP's last post, so he's probably moved on to a new hobby by now and forgotten all about this thread. Kids nowadays... ;)
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Yes, JaMike I think you are probably right. I wasn't intending to be negative but I think I'm just weary from emails I've been getting lately which typically go something like...."I send you storyboard, you do me animation for free as can't pay. Please contact me to discuss" !!?? :D

I started by poorly emulating Warner Bros cartoons. Even as a 12 year old I didn't attempt to copy Bugs Bunny or Daffy Duck but had enough sense to try and design my own versions, as bad as they were.