UP AND COMING ANIMATOR / FILM MAKER WANTED TO CREATE MUSIC V

Want to hire an Moho animator? Post your job listing here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

musicvideo888

UP AND COMING ANIMATOR / FILM MAKER WANTED TO CREATE MUSIC V

Post by musicvideo888 »

Hi,

We are a UK rock band looking for an animator / film maker to create a video for a new release in the autumn.

Our style is quite edgy, a cross between Foo Fighters and Queens of The Stone Age. A video with a similar feel and pace this video would be ideal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcHKOC64KnE

Although we are unsigned and have a limited budget, we do believe this would be an excellent opportunity for an up and coming talent to get experience and build up their portfolio.

We will be working with a PR company to promote the release via YouTube (our last video got over 6,000 in one month!) and some top online music blogs. The band has a growing online fan base with over 7,000 Twitters and 3,600 Facebook fans worldwide – so this could be really good way to cross promote and gain exposure for your work.

If you are interested in collaborating with us, please get in touch and send some links to your work!

Many thanks

musicvideo888@gmail.com
slowtiger

Re: UP AND COMING ANIMATOR / FILM MAKER WANTED TO CREATE MUS

Post by slowtiger »

You may want to read viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22378 first, to check your expectations, and to avoid a certain attitude (which is easy, that guy was a bad example). A 3 min animated videoclip will be about 9000.- € - or, to calculate from the other end, each month of work of an animator will be about 1500 - 3000.- €. depending on where he lives.

The video you link doesn't play in Germany, is it animated?
dm

Post by dm »

Not much animation (if any). Live action that's been run through After Effects, most likely. high contrast, colorized, some compositing. Queens of the Stone Age: Go With the Flow is the video (if you wanted to try to seek it out more). Given the original footage, it was probably done in a week.

their site: http://www.qotsa.com/media/
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Thx, the still and your description gives me a good enough idea. (Couldn't play that one either, because their band's website asks for WinMedia or RealPlayer! Someone should tell them about 2012...)

OK, stuff like that could be done faster, but still you'll need some really good source material, and the knowledge to process it. Personally I don't like stuff which is just processed video, but a lot can be done with a combination of life action and animation - I've seen excellent music videos done in that fashion, the more experimental the better. It all depends on a good idea, it might be a simple one, but it must be good.

Calculate with 1 or 2 months of work.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

(not a project that interests me but ...) yeah - I thought I'd seen some rotoscoping in there - but the "given the original footage" is pretty key to this one... from the OP my guess is that they want everything done from storyboarded and shot through to post...
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

A project like this, with a very small budget, only works if the artist has the last word in all discussions. She might come up with better ideas, a new angle, a completely different solution from what the agency wants, because more often than not agencies don't know how much time any idea needs to get realized.
dm

Post by dm »

Interesting that you mention a "last video" on YouTube, but there's no link to that. No band name either. How does the PR company work for the financial part? Exposure, and limited money for them too?

I looked at the linked video again, I guess there's some animation in there. Some roto work too. It's mostly a colorized litho-style video. The majority of the video is a pick up truck driving around in the desert, with guys in it singing and playing the guitar. Very interesting that someone would choose that as a reference piece. I guess I'm just not quite edgy enough to appreciate it. Although, it was only referenced for 'feel and pace'. Should probably ignore the content and visuals, since they wouldn't really apply to an animated piece. Sorry about that assumption. It's certainly valid enough as a reference starting point.

How do people come up with comments like: "cross between Foo Fighters and Queens of the Stone Age"? I wish I could do that. That talent completely evades me.

Well, my apologies for my prior comment(s). I made an assumption, didn't read your original post properly. Good luck with getting your video done.
chucky

Post by chucky »

The video toon effect is not that difficult there , but the match-moving would take more effort. Your film maker would have to be at your location for the shoot even if there was rotoscpoing later. You would need a studio with a cyc or green screen for proper keying.
Film-makers need money exposure is great but not if they are asked to work for peanuts after the exposure by every man dog and producer alike.

You could go to a local film school and be ready to pay all expenses even if the director/camera operator/animator/editor will work for free. If this is all one person then they deserve to be paid. Think about it :) If they are just a student then you will be VERY lucky to find anyone competent enough yet.

Here's a link to a clip I did (for some mates), where the bass player was actually in Perth at the time , but I managed to get him to mocap himself with instructions so there are ways round this.

Back in the day some of these guys Vocals, keyboard and guitar actually toured with Kyuss just as an interesting aside.
Even though they are old friends and self funded/independent they still paid me enough to pay my rent and eat etc for the time it took.
If you want to discuss further message me from the link here that says PM :arrow:
There are always creative ways around distance and technology but sometimes you just have to swing some buck just to make it possible no matter what the intentions are.
yoobah

Post by yoobah »

@Chucky : the clip you made for this band is awesome !! I really enjoy it !!!
chucky

Post by chucky »

I should say that All the backgrounds and car stuff is 3d animation in the Queens of the Stone age clip.
skelly265

Post by skelly265 »

I've seen fantastic songs video clips done in that style, the more trial the better. It all relies on a wise decision, it might be a easy one, but it must be fantastic.