Anyone interested in teaming up?

Want to hire an Moho animator? Post your job listing here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

steveryan2

Re: Anyone interested in teaming up?

Post by steveryan2 »

Thanks Iwaxana,

I started by creating a shot list which I will paste below. I could begin the storyboard but I wonder if someone with better drawing ability might be interested? Then the storyboard can be used as the animatic.

Anyone interested in working on the sound? This would entail both music and sound effects so if you are good at just one or the other that is okay.

Also, is anyone interested in the character design? I can draw cartoony characters but my abilities are limited and I want to go for semi-realistic look. Something along the lines of Joseph, Archer, or even Super Friends would be good. The character design should take into consideration that these people are nearly starving; no overweight people! Probably no older people either. Their clothes could be mixed but mostly worn and dirty middle class clothing. Almost homeless-looking but with some attempts at repairs and cleanliness.

Here is the shot list; I welcome any suggestions.

Shot List

1. Fade in on a long shot of a post-apocalyptic camp. The city burns in the background. A field in the mid ground. Tents and cars in the foreground. A kid stands up right in front of the camera; he is excited. He lifts his hand and he is holding a bug. The kid pops it into his mouth like candy and swishes it around in his mouth like a delicacy. He runs off screen.
2. Medium panning shot of the people in the camp busy doing basic survival tasks; carrying wood, repairing things. A man making soup over a fire. A woman hanging clothes on a clothes line.
3. Long shot of two men plowing the field next to the camp.
4. Medium shot of the plow slowly plowing through the dirt and the man’s legs shaking as he struggles to pull the plow forward.
5. Close up of the man struggling to pull, sweat on his brow. He pauses, exhausted and looks behind him.
6. The man behind him tries to muster an encouraging smile.
7. The man in front takes a breath and squints into the sun.
8. Close up of the sun radiating heat like a furnace.
9. Over-the-shoulder shot of him looking across the field he has yet to plow. He has a long way to go.
10. Long shot silhouette of men plowing. A terrorizing scream. Children screaming.
11. Medium shot of both men snapping their heads in the direction of the screams.
12. Close up of the front man as he runs towards the screams
13. Full shot of a child running into frame; he trips and falls
14. Medium close up of a zombie stumbling toward the camera
15. Over-the-shoulder of Zombie of child turning over to face what is chasing him. Zoom in to child’s wide-eyed terrorized stare. The zombie’s looming shadow overcomes the child.
16. Close up of the child being pulled back by someone
17. Medium close up of man throwing something and yelling to get the zombie’s attention
18. Medium shot of zombie looking up to man and then coming after the man, walking off screen.
19. The man raises his arms and screams to keep the attention of the zombie. He runs in the opposite direction but stumbles and falls himself, hitting his head.
20. POV shot of man looking at blurry view of the ground. His vision going in and out of focus.
21. X-Close up of blood on the man’s head. Loud zombie sound; he is close!
22. The zombie falls to the ground to tackle the man
23. Man pulls himself out of the way just missing the zombie’s clutches.
24. Close up side shot of man standing up and running, looking behind him. He is looking backwards more than forwards.
25. Long shot of him running directly into a bed sheet that is hanging on a clothes line.
26. Medium shot of him caught in the sheet, moaning and moving like a ghost.
27. A child sees him and screams
28. The zombie runs towards the man and the clothes line, tackling the man.
29. Man with sheet on him trips backwards and falls. The zombie is standing above him.
30. Fast and blurry flashes of a struggle; feet, hands, body parts and clothes line rope.
31. Close up of man’s expression; he believes he is done for.
32. X Close up of zombie’s chomping teeth inches from man’s face. Chomp again. And again.
33. Man opens eyes and zombie is wrapped in rope, suspended in front of him.
34. He looks up and gets an idea.
35. Long shot of men happily working the field. Zombie is now pulling the plow and they move across the screen.
36. Silhouette longer shot of same with camp in foreground.

Fade Out
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I'll do some character designs. Is there a deadline? And do you want them in any particular format? I prefer drawing on paper (I don't like using AS for drawing purposes, I've always hated the drawing tools in the program).
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
steveryan2

Post by steveryan2 »

Thanks Jahnocli.

I'd say work in whatever format you like best. Paper sounds fine. When you are ready just scan it or take a picture with your phone and email it as a JPG or GIF (or can images be posted in this forum?).

I don't have a deadline, but it is probably a good idea to set one anyway, even if it is arbitrary. That will help keep things rolling. Do you think you could have it done by Saturday? If I am asking for too much let me know.

For the main character; a man age 25-40. Drawn from a 3/4 and front view. Same for the kid and the zombie. These are the characters that will be animated the most.

thanks!
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Unless you're going for a really quick pass at cut out style animation, I think this shot list is WAY too ambitious.

If you want it to look like a regular cartoon or something like Joseph, I think you'd be looking at months of full time work for a group of people with this shot list.

Others might disagree(?), but I would recommend to judiciously trim the shot list down to maybe 7-10 shots. I know that's really few, but it is much more manageable, and much more likely you will have a nice quality result. I think you can tell the same story (and possibly more excitingly) with fewer characters, fewer backgrounds, and fewer suspenseful close calls. Just ask yourself what you absolutely need to tell the story/joke effectively.

I think this goes back to what you were saying in the motivation thread:
I realize that I simply need to see results fast and then move on.
I think people who want to pitch in on the project are looking for that same fast result. Knowing that there is an unfinishable amount of work to be done is going to overwhelm them. Plus, if everyone else jumps ship, you don't want to be left with a project you can't complete on your own.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I'd agree with this - 36 shots is a lot to tell a simple joke. I think you need to throw half of them away. It's hard, but professionals have to do this all the time...
Monday would be a better deadline for me. Already started on the zombies!
steveryan2

Post by steveryan2 »

I'll take a look at the shot list to see what can be eliminated. This may be a good time to explain part of the way I approach a project. When I write something I write it without thought to how it will affect production, then do a second and even a third pass with production in mind. This is really the only way to maintain any level of creativity. At least for me, my brain cannot be both creative and critical at the same time. Nor am I able to quickly jump between creative decisions and critical decisions.But then later as I get into production I see the difficulties of some choices; or see the time that they add to production and do a cost-benefit analysis, and try to eliminate or substitute with something more simple. So the shot list provided is a best-case, "dream" shot list. It will need to be pared down as the project moves into production and each shot is carefully evaluated. But I like to dream!

It was also my intention to consolidate as many shots as possible by judicious use of framing, zoom and focus of the shots. For example, shots 3 through 7 can probably be accomplished with the same art by simply changing the framing, zoom, color, and focus of the shot. That is what I am going to try anyway. There may be many other places where this is the case as well.

To clarify; I want the character's to LOOK something like Joseph, but not necessarily have that same level of animation. I agree that would take a long time and for the reasons you both mentioned, the animation will need to be greatly simplified. You are correct in that I want the project to move along quickly.

Thank you both for your suggestions!
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I have done some editing:

1. Fade in on a long shot of a post-apocalyptic camp. The city burns in the background.
5. Close up of the man struggling to pull, sweat on his brow. He pauses, exhausted and looks behind him.
10. Long shot silhouette of men plowing. A terrorizing scream. Children screaming.
13. Full shot of a child running into frame; he trips and falls
14. Medium close up of a zombie stumbling toward the camera
27. A child sees him and screams
28. The zombie runs towards the man and the clothes line, tackling the man.
30. Fast and blurry flashes of a struggle; feet, hands, body parts and clothes line rope.
31. Close up of man’s expression; (In total fear.) -he believes he is done for.-
32. X Close up of zombie’s chomping teeth inches from man’s face. Chomp again. And again.
33. Man opens eyes and zombie is wrapped in rope, suspended in front of him.
34. He looks up (and smiles rubbing his hand on his chin) -and gets an idea.-
35. Long shot of men happily working the field. Zombie is now pulling the plow and they move across the screen.
36. Silhouette longer shot of same with camp in foreground.

-he believes he is done for.-
-and gets an idea.-
Are thoughts. I can not animate them.

I can vector and rig quickly, so post some art work and when I get time, I can do it.
Dale
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

I think working in passes as you describe is a great method! I agree that being critical can crush the creative process. I really enjoy creating character and environment color pallettes, if you want someone to work on that. If not I'll try to find some other way I can help out. Looking forward to seeing the characters! :D
jahnocli

ZOMBIES!!!

Post by jahnocli »

Some zombies for ya:
Zombies%20on%20dropbox
My favourite is (A), but maybe we should have a vote? Once one is chosen, I'll do a model sheet.
The other characters are goody-goodies, so less interesting to draw -- maybe I'll make them more guilty-looking or something...
Anyway, enjoy!
steveryan2

Post by steveryan2 »

Wow! Amazing drawingsJahnocli!

My favorites are A, B and C. If I had to pick one, I would go with A. I do like the vacant eyes and the decaying nose. B is very similar with the main difference that he does have one eye.

Great work!!
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

jahnocli wrote:Some zombies for ya:
Zombies%20on%20dropbox
My favourite is (A), but maybe we should have a vote? Once one is chosen, I'll do a model sheet.
The other characters are goody-goodies, so less interesting to draw -- maybe I'll make them more guilty-looking or something...
Anyway, enjoy!
Need the normal people also, and a storyboard.

Dale
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Those all look awesome!
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

lwaxana wrote:Those all look awesome!
Thanks, lwaxana! I'd be very happy for you to do the colour palettes on these -- I've always liked your colour choices. I'm currently working on the less life-impaired characters at the moment...
DK

Post by DK »

Just to let you know I am really enjoying reading this thread and looking forward to seeing the results.

Cheers
D.K
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

jahnocli wrote:
lwaxana wrote:Those all look awesome!
Thanks, lwaxana! I'd be very happy for you to do the colour palettes on these -- I've always liked your colour choices. I'm currently working on the less life-impaired characters at the moment...
When you get them done, I will vector and rig them for animation.

Dale