Anyone interested in teaming up?

Want to hire an Moho animator? Post your job listing here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

steveryan2

Re: Anyone interested in teaming up?

Post by steveryan2 »

Here is a video of the 6-frame head turn. Notice the eyes (they are hard to miss).

View My Video
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

steveryan2 wrote:Here is a video of the 6-frame head turn. Notice the eyes (they are hard to miss).

View My Video
You need to use masking.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
steveryan2

Post by steveryan2 »

They eyes are in a group layer, which are in turn contained in another group layer for the character. What masking settings are required to make it work?

thanks.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Something like this.
Last edited by sbtamu on Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for bad animation

synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Lwaxana said, "The curvature on his left cheekbone". It looks like you changed the cheekbone on your left.
steveryan2

Post by steveryan2 »

sbtamu wrote:Something like this.
Sorry, but nothing shows when I click the icon. Was this an example of the masking settings?
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Yes, that image host site is gone to the dogs now. Wont even show my avatar anymore. I change hosing site now so you should see the image now.
Sorry for bad animation

CraftyGrafty

Post by CraftyGrafty »

I'm having the exact same problem with my eyes and mouth.

As you can see here the pupils and teeth turn invisible when they're moved off the face like they're supposed to.

But when I move the mouth and the eyes they don't disappear AND reveal the pupils and teeth.

I've tried changing the layers around and nothing seems to work.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Make sure you render to see the actual masking results.
CraftyGrafty

Post by CraftyGrafty »

I did and it's exactly the same
steveryan2

Post by steveryan2 »

sbtamu wrote:Something like this.

Thank you; that fixed it.

A by-product is that my nested masks for the beard/mouth don't show up right on the canvas. They do render correctly, however.
steveryan2

Post by steveryan2 »

CraftyGrafty wrote:I'm having the exact same problem with my eyes and mouth.

As you can see here the pupils and teeth turn invisible when they're moved off the face like they're supposed to.

But when I move the mouth and the eyes they don't disappear AND reveal the pupils and teeth.

I've tried changing the layers around and nothing seems to work.
I am not sure we have the same settings, but I was getting the same result as you. I changed my settings to those that sbtamu recommended and it worked. It still looks wrong in the working view on the canvas, but it does render correctly. Let me know if you are still having problems. Really nice zombie by the way!
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Glad it works now for you. :D
Sorry for bad animation

CraftyGrafty

Post by CraftyGrafty »

steveryan2 wrote:
I am not sure we have the same settings, but I was getting the same result as you. I changed my settings to those that sbtamu recommended and it worked. It still looks wrong in the working view on the canvas, but it does render correctly. Let me know if you are still having problems. Really nice zombie by the way!
Thanks!

I took the eyes out of the eyes folder and the mouth out of the mouth folder leaving the eyes and teeth in those folders, had no masking in those groups, turned the face group into the mask (hide all and mask this layer) and added the mouth and the eyes to the mask. Unfortunately I'm still getting the same result.

I'm starting to think that my only options are to combine the mouth and eyes the the face or I'll have to adjust them manually.
steveryan2

Post by steveryan2 »

I finished creating all three views: The original 3/4, the side, and the front. They eye problem is fixed and as far as I know I have addressed all of the feedback. I think the hair looks a little funny, so I will work on that.

Lessons learned: I wish I had drawn out each of the views using paper and pencil, and created the vectorized character based on all three. What I found from starting with the 3/4 view is that I didn't have enough points where I need them. I also had too many points in certain places and this made it difficult to create the transition from one view to another. This was because I was trying to remain true to the original sketch. If I had to do it all over again, I would go in favor of simplification first. I would create all views using this simplified version and then go back and add detail (points) only where it absolutely needed to be.
The hair and the nose were particularly problematic and just took a long time to do. Now that I think of it I could have (and still can) recreate the hair using three pieces rather than just one; a piece for the front/top, and then a piece for each of the sides. This would prevent all the points from sliding around up and down the side of the head as it turned. It would also maintain the bumps on the top of the head more consistently.

Because this is the main character I want several additional views. In particular I want to create a view with the head tilted up and one with it tilted down (in addition to turning to the left). That is a lot more views, but because this is the main character I think it will be worth all of the added work. The real question is how to proceed? Do I try to create these other views using what I have, or go through now and remove a lot of the excess points. This will enable me to create those other views much more quickly.

I will think on that and then get started with the other views:
Head turning left
Head tilting up
Head tilting down

View My Video