Weekly Animation Work

Want to hire an Moho animator? Post your job listing here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Kedric

Weekly Animation Work

Post by Kedric »

Hello,

I’m Rick (or rather Kedric) from Smashbits. I help large youtube channels find animation talent.

I’m looking for Anime Studio animators.

I’m primarily looking for people who can take a script, an audio mixdown, and a few pages of outline notes and create simplistic animations at a youtube budget. With the style we go for, we typically imagine it would take roughly 40 hours to animate a single 2:30-3:00 web animation.

We typically pay around $250-$500 for one animation (made within a week) . . . however; we have paid much more in special situations.

We’ve got over 15 animators working full-time with us on a weekly basis. We are hoping for additional team members who are dependable communicators and want consistent work.

All I want to see is your portfolio of at least three 2+ minute long animations. When you send the links please ensure you mention what your role was . . . did you do all artwork and animation or did you use other people’s rigs?

Email me at rick@smashbits.net
funksmaname

Re: Weekly Animation Work

Post by funksmaname »

So, what you're offering is between $6.25 - $12.50 p/h for a 40 hour week, ongoing, including custom artwork and rigging, and any revenues generated are yours?
Where do I sign? :shock:
Kedric

Post by Kedric »

Good questions:

As mentioned, pay is per project. Since this is freelance work, the payment/revenue I mentioned is yours.

If your inexperienced in art and rigging but a talented character animator - we can still work with you as we have an art/rigging team.

Contract is per project. Ongoing work is contracted each time.

Feel free to contact me via email with any additional questions.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Seem to have missed a bit of sarcasm there. For the rates you quote, "create simplistic animations" does not include "talented character animator". $12.50/hr is less than fast food workers apparently expect to get paid nowadays, and 40 hrs a week would require it being a living wage for someone more skilled than that.
Kedric

Post by Kedric »

Ahhh, I can see how that would be a good point. This rate is actually extremely good wages for most of us in the world. It easily puts 80% of people into the top 1% of their country. We’ve got over 25 talented people on the team thrilled with good dependable pay. Some of them are even from wealthy western countries (those trying to break into animation).

We cannot afford a Pixar budget – but if you ever find yourself in a situation, we might have a few slightly higher budgeted projects where we could meet somewhere in the middle. There are often tricks to lowering production costs.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Just to put things in perspective: 250 $ will not even get you a single day of animation work in London. Freelance rates start at 300 $ per day there, and thats the bottom line for serious work.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Kedric

Post by Kedric »

I'm guessing that is why the two studios I've talked with based in London outsource their animation to India and Bangladesh. Are you suggesting only those in wealthy countries can produce "serious" work or that if one would want to work with a professional animator in your country that is what it would take to make a "serious" offer?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

If you let someone work a full month for you, you have to pay at least the amount of money this person can pay their monthly rent, food, electricity, taxes etc from. It's that simple. And don't suggest a London based animator may just relocate to Dhaka because they could live there much cheaper.

Kedric

Post by Kedric »

Roger. That’s solid advice. Many of those we are paying are now top 1%’s in their country. My guess is that is enough for basic needs.

Did I suggest London animators should leave London? Although living in a third world country is definitely a heck of a lot cheaper – I wouldn’t suggest doing so if you’re making $300 a day. That’s really good money! What does the industry look like in Germany?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Bad for most of us, good enough for those who can land a job.

JaMike

Post by JaMike »

There's a wide range of quality in the videos on the website - which ones would you most like to emulate for the price you've given?