AS Forum animator took my money, never delivered

Want to hire an Moho animator? Post your job listing here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Telemacus

AS Forum animator took my money, never delivered

Post by Telemacus »

Really sad news.
I'm in the middle of a non-receipt paypal dispute (scalated to a claim already).
Board user "Maestral" accepted a small job offer. I checked his background here at the forum and he's been a member for quite a while and has posted over 100 posts.
I also checked his profile at deviant art, etc.
He accepted the job and was fully aware that I needed it urgently. In fact, he said he'd be able to complete it before the alloted time.
Now, I don't want to put this user down, but some of his messages were a little "strange". He said he'd lost all the files he'd been working on and had to start over, and would need some extra time. (sounded like a terrible excuse to me, but I gave him some extra time).
Then he kept giving excuses.
I think he's a good animator, but he never sent me any files as he promised. He only let me take a look at a small animation that he'd made with the instructions I'd given him (it was surprisingly good, I must admit), but no .anme files whatsoever!.
More excuses followed. Why couldn't he send the files that he'd done already so that we could work together to polish them? he didn't want to.
Then he stopped comunicating with me. Tried to contact him several times, not a single reply. Been five days already since his last email.
I'd only sent him the first part of a payment ($100).
Currently awaiting instructions from Paypal.

I do not wish to put anybody down. Maestral does look like a good artist / animator. It's just that until this issue is resolved (if it is resolved at all), you should think twice before hiring his services. Just my opinion.

I'll be more than happy to edit / delete this post if the issue is resolved, but I'm not optimistic...
jahnocli

Re: AS Forum animator took my money, never delivered

Post by jahnocli »

Sorry to hear that. Yes, he's been around for a while on the forum. I guess you never know...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

It's good that you only paid him half. Anyway, keep us updated on this.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

There is a ton of videos of how the client is impossible or crazy to work with. But it's a two way street and you never know who or what your getting when you hire someone.

Dale
Telemacus

Post by Telemacus »

Nightmare is over, got this email from paypal last night:

Code: Select all

"Dear Sir
We have concluded our investigation into your case and have decided in your
favour.
We were able to recover $100.00 USD, and this amount has been credited to
you. Please allow 5 business days for this adjustment to be posted."
Money's been refunded already.
dueyftw wrote:There is a ton of videos of how the client is impossible or crazy to work with. But it's a two way street and you never know who or what your getting when you hire someone.
I agree. But when the person you've reached a deal with misses the deadlines he agreed to for 10 days and during this time hasn't sent you a single test file (never got a single .anme file), and then doesnt' reply to your emails for 5 days, you know something's gone wrong.
I never got a single file, you know, a test file saying: "look, this is what I've done so far"... you know, that kind of thing.
That would have been fine. At least I could have made some progress.
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

Telemacus

Post by Telemacus »

Yes, I wrote that. It was an absurd offer you made, for paypal was investigating the case, but since I got no reply from you and I wanted to sort out the matter, I had to try something else.
I think that one must have been my 30th email to you or there abouts. Maybe I can be forgiven for wanting to get back the money you had willingly accepted from me 3 weeks earlier promising to deliver something which you had not? I've had several people do jobs for me here at the forum and have never had any issues whatsoever.

I had tried absolutely everything. I waited for 3 weeks. I offered you the opportunity to sort out the matter amiccably, and you didn't want to.

Funny, your first email to me after that was when paypal contacted you.

You had taken my money with beautiful promisses and then didn't have the decency to even reply.

It seems that you didn´t' convince paypal. I wonder why.
Telemacus

Post by Telemacus »

By the way, Public Disclosure of Private Facts (such as an email) is an invasion of privacy in most western countries.
Dpendleton77

Post by Dpendleton77 »

Sad thing about this is that it took you this long to post something on the forum regarding this issue. As a provider of a service you could have touched based with the person you hired for a job a long time ago.
Dpendleton77

Post by Dpendleton77 »

Telemacus wrote:Yes, I wrote that. It was an absurd offer you made, for paypal was investigating the case, but since I got no reply from you and I wanted to sort out the matter, I had to try something else.
I think that one must have been my 30th email to you or there abouts. Maybe I can be forgiven for wanting to get back the money you had willingly accepted from me 3 weeks earlier promising to deliver something which you had not? I've had several people do jobs for me here at the forum and have never had any issues whatsoever.

I had tried absolutely everything. I waited for 3 weeks. I offered you the opportunity to sort out the matter amiccably, and you didn't want to.

Funny, your first email to me after that was when paypal contacted you.

You had taken my money with beautiful promisses and then didn't have the decency to even reply.

It seems that you didn´t' convince paypal. I wonder why.
You got caught up with somebody being very unprofessional, good luck next time.