[UNPAID] Need help from co-animator to finish WW2 animation

Want to hire an Moho animator? Post your job listing here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

MrSoHot

[UNPAID] Need help from co-animator to finish WW2 animation

Post by MrSoHot »

Hi, my name is MrSoHot, and I kinda come here from time to time. I was wondering if anyone who felt like they weren't really doing anything, needed to quickly put something on a demo reel, and were feeling a bit amiable can help me finish a big project I have been working on since December. I really need help and it kinda stresses me out since I know I can't finish it without help and I know nobody who can animate with me, and a lot of people are expecting the best of me and feel quite a lot of shame if I fail to deliver. Even though I've been using Adobe Flash for the animation, it really wouldn't matter if you use a different program as well. All as long as you follow what happens in the script.

The animation is pretty much a short animated documentary without the voice over/narrator. It's sort of like a short movie showcasing almost all the important events that happened during World War II, like the invasion of Poland, Normandy, Bombing of Pearl Harbor, Bombing of Nagasaki and Hiroshima, and Hitler's death.

I hope someone is interested in a project like this and can really help. You don't even have to animate, you can do anything to help out with the animation.

email me at mrsohot101@gmail.com if intrested :)

EDIT: I failed to read that "free animator checklist" that was pinned. Apologies if I did something wrong here.

Screenshots of the animation so far (ignore the square, it is just VCam)
Check out my animations. htttp://www.youtube.com/MrSoHotVideos
jahnocli

Re: [UNPAID] Need help from co-animator to finish WW2 animat

Post by jahnocli »

First, the correct YouTube URL for your demo reel:mrsohot demo reel.

If you don't mind me saying so, (hell, even if you do!), your artwork is extremely childlike and unimpressive. If a few animatic frames with no sound is all you have so far it's even less impressive. If a lot of people are expecting the best from you, and they've seen the quality of your work, then they are deluding themselves. If you have been working on it since December then you *should* be ashamed of yourself.

Sorry to be so harsh, but if you want collaborators you're going to have to seriously up your game.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

jahnocli wrote:First, the correct YouTube URL for your demo reel:mrsohot demo reel.

If you don't mind me saying so, (hell, even if you do!), your artwork is extremely childlike and unimpressive. If a few animatic frames with no sound is all you have so far it's even less impressive. If a lot of people are expecting the best from you, and they've seen the quality of your work, then they are deluding themselves. If you have been working on it since December then you *should* be ashamed of yourself.

Sorry to be so harsh, but if you want collaborators you're going to have to seriously up your game.
Ditto:

BUT, you have made an effort to do some animation. SO;

Invest in a scanner and draw on paper. Forget about animating for awhile and just draw. SO;

Here is the first book you should read:

http://www.pdf-archive.com/2013/09/29/t ... echniques/

Because you made some effort and now know how much time and skill is involved instead of just writing some script and expecting someone else to do the hard work you get some credit for that. Now step away from the computer (unless it is to read the book on drawing) and get a pack of 500 sheet copy paper and draw.
Also look at other peoples work and copy what they draw. Filled each sheet, both sides with drawings. Come back when know 10 head shapes, 10 ears, 20 eyes, 10 eye brows, 5 noses. 5 shirts 5 pants and skirts, 5 shoes. All by memory.

Dale
MrSoHot

Post by MrSoHot »

jahnocli wrote:First, the correct YouTube URL for your demo reel:mrsohot demo reel.

Thanks for the unasked criticism, but I would consider the animations on my channel, old and rushed. I've already upped my game, 5 years in the making. In fact I have several animations finished already, its just has to go through some editing to add all the sound fx/visual fx. That's kind of the reason why I haven't linked it to my channel. But again, thanks for the critiquing my more "newbie" self. I've already made my cartoons more realistic. Sort of like the art from the game "This War of Mine.", just in color and not side scrolling.
MrSoHot

Post by MrSoHot »

dueyftw wrote:

Ditto:

BUT, you have made an effort to do some animation. SO;

Invest in a scanner and draw on paper. Forget about animating for awhile and just draw. SO;

Here is the first book you should read:

http://www.pdf-archive.com/2013/09/29/t ... echniques/

Because you made some effort and now know how much time and skill is involved instead of just writing some script and expecting someone else to do the hard work you get some credit for that. Now step away from the computer (unless it is to read the book on drawing) and get a pack of 500 sheet copy paper and draw.
Also look at other peoples work and copy what they draw. Filled each sheet, both sides with drawings. Come back when know 10 head shapes, 10 ears, 20 eyes, 10 eye brows, 5 noses. 5 shirts 5 pants and skirts, 5 shoes. All by memory.

Dale
I've already done all this. I've been doing this since I was in middle school. Not trying to sound like an idiot, but you guys are kind of underestimating what I can really do, honestly.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Yes,I do understand where you are. I can't draw very well. But here is a little secret that no one likes to say. You don't need amazing drawing skills to be an animator. In fact it can be a hindrance. I know some one who can out draw 98% of the rest of the world. His drawing are that good and he get paid very well for his work. But when you spend 20 hours on one drawing; your not going to be an animator.

One way to look at what Jahnocli and I said is to take it as two people who are giving nasty advice and we out to belittle you. The other way is to take it as very negative and ask yourself what am I doing to get such a negative response. Pulse what was the positive?

Personally, I do not think you have read the book "The Complete Book of Drawing Techniques" or have practice drawing that much.

Dale
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

One man's "unasked criticism" is another man's "honest feedback". Or maybe you just want people to prostrate themselves before you and work for nothing to further your ego? Your work is below par. If you've spent five years "upping your game" then my advice is to find another way, because it seems like you are just wasting your time and kidding yourself.
Telemacus

Post by Telemacus »

Dale: didn't know about that book, looks really good, great suggestion!
Jahno: Harsh words. Sometimes it's not so much a question of being honest or polite. The fact is that animation, like music and other forms of art brings joy to those who try it. That being the case, who are we to put down the work of others if that makes them happy?
Mrshohot: I'm a hopeless animator at present, so I can't help you much, but I do hope you find someone to give you hand with those projects!
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Telemacus wrote:Jahno: Harsh words. Sometimes it's not so much a question of being honest or polite. The fact is that animation, like music and other forms of art brings joy to those who try it. That being the case, who are we to put down the work of others if that makes them happy?
Yeah, you're right. I've got a spiteful tongue. I try to keep it throttled back but sometimes it gets the better of me...