Switching careers?

Want to hire an Moho animator? Post your job listing here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ColdCrystal

Switching careers?

Post by ColdCrystal »

Hi, I've been trying to earn money(online work only) through freelance writing, however, I can't seem to reach my minimum earning goal per month($350). It's not that I do not write better than what you can see in most articles online, and I've had no complaints so far. I've done academic essays, life style articles, news items, even ebooks. It's just that this market is inundated with offers from third-world countries, so it is considered a low entry type of work. Finding a writing gig itself is a huge struggle.
I regularly hear stories about freelance writers earning $1500 per month, for 5-7 hours of work per day, but I don't have the slightest idea how can someone accomplish that.

So, I was thinking of scrapping the whole "freelance writing" and dedicate myself to animation career.
I already have Maya licence, valid for a couple of years.

Can someone inform me how long would it take to learn Maya to a reasonable proficiency and start making money?
Again, the minimum goal would be about $350 per month.

I have enough savings for 6 months, if after that I don't have steady income, I will be in deep trouble.
dueyftw

Re: Switching careers?

Post by dueyftw »

Get a job that requires you to show up!

Writing, animation, programing all can all be done anywhere in the world. If you don't love writing or animation find something else.

I do Hvac for a living. I animate as a hobby.

Dale
ColdCrystal

Post by ColdCrystal »

dueyftw wrote:Get a job that requires you to show up!
What a stupid thing to say. I can only do online work for a reason.

This is completely irrelevant.
ColdCrystal

Post by ColdCrystal »

dueyftw wrote: Writing, animation, programing all can all be done anywhere in the world.
This is completely false. I've systematically applied to over 20 content mills, and most of them rejected me because I'm not a resident of US/UK/Australia.

Jesus man, if you have nothing to say except falsehoods and nonsense, don't post.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Three things:
1. For advice about Maya, ask questions in a Maya forum
2. If you fly into a virtual rage every time someone gives you advice you don't like, you're going to be unhappy a lot of the time
3. No-one decides upon a career in animation with the intention of making money
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

ColdCrystal wrote:
dueyftw wrote:Get a job that requires you to show up!
What a stupid thing to say. I can only do online work for a reason.

This is completely irrelevant.
If you have no choice and work online then be the best at what you do. IF you want a job that pays the bills then don't do anything that the rest of the world can compete with you.
ColdCrystal wrote:
dueyftw wrote: Writing, animation, programing all can all be done anywhere in the world.

This is completely false. I've systematically applied to over 20 content mills, and most of them rejected me because I'm not a resident of US/UK/Australia.

Jesus man, if you have nothing to say except falsehoods and nonsense, don't post.
Move! Or find someone to take your work in the US/UK/Australia and submit for you. I's called an agent. If what your doing is that good, you shouldn't have a problem. Don't make excuses.

I have seen people wast their time and money learning animation. It's called a BFA. I sat in a room where the Disney animation studio HR rep was taking to kids 19 to 24 year old's on what it like working for them. I can't imagine what it's like to spend 90k to 120k to get a job that pays 40K to start.

The best 2d animator has two BFA's and sells restate. This is a tough business.

I'm not going to make and apology for my advice. If you don't like, don't take it. I'm getting old, been learning animation for over 10 years and still know only a drop in the bucket.

Dale
chucky

Post by chucky »

You can work remotely for sure.
I work as a storyboard artist and animator as my sole income, not a hobby.
I rarely have to go in to an office.
Sometimes on a series it might happen for boarding, but mostly not.
I have never met most of my animation clients and have always done that remotely and online.
Here's Alfred Molina Narrating to an animation that I boarded, designed and animated. He had to turn up :wink: .
But I did the whole thing remotely from Australia and never met Ben Moses in Person https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_MosesHe contacted me by phone after seeing a music video in some editing facility A Whisper to a Roar cast and credits

I have done commercial animations with millions of views , you can do it all online, no probs.
Actually I prefer it for so many reasons.
You just have to make sure your clients are happy, they are the ones who spread the word, no amount of other self promotion will work.
The first job may have to be all but a freebie, but make sure you can do something that is deemed worthy, otherwise no one will care.

Know that you are up to scratch first though, don't kid yourself.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Good advice, but remember chucky's talent is supernatural. :)

Unfortunately, I think dueyftw is on the right track. See this overview on a 3D animation career:
http://study.com/articles/How_to_Become ... admap.html
Given that the learning process and show reel creation is hugely time consuming, it seems getting any sort of work in 6 months is unlikely.

Good luck pursuing your passion, in any case.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Given that the learning process and show reel creation is hugely time consuming, it seems getting any sort of work in 6 months is unlikely.
This is too true.
A good idea is to offer yourself as a dogsbody for work experience.
Turn up to sweep floors, make coffee and any time you gat free , sit down and draw something, somewhere you can be seen.
Draw interesting stuff, look like you are trying things you have seen around the office, you will get free advice and... maybe...
Someone will ask you to draw something or ask what you can do... take any opportunity like that and sprint like the wind.
This is how I got my very first break, at the end of two (of many before and since) poverty stricken weeks-( literally I was a homeless teenager at that point), I was offered a job as junior. That position is the same, coffee , copying, running, but you get baby steps and more education than many courses.
Learning online is pretty good these days too.

Stepping in as a full time animator.... hmmm ... you'll need a lot of practice and a trust fund to house you and buy you the time. :wink:
ColdCrystal

Post by ColdCrystal »

Hold on a sec, are you saying that after a comprehensive understanding and practice with Maya(I already have 30GB of tutorials): learning new software would take about a month(including all shortcuts like second nature), and then practice - about 2 months...so about 3 months, you still would not be able to land short animation gigs for a measly $350 per month?

Somehow, I don't believe you, or you have some trouble with functional literacy. Is the title confusing you? I don't expect a career in the traditional sense of making the average animator salary. I have stated how much I expect to make, multiple times.
chucky

Post by chucky »

ColdCrystal wrote:Somehow, I don't believe you, or you have some trouble with functional literacy. Is the title confusing you? I don't expect a career in the traditional sense of making the average animator salary. I have stated how much I expect to make, multiple times.
Good luck with your career.
ColdCrystal

Post by ColdCrystal »

chucky wrote:
ColdCrystal wrote:Somehow, I don't believe you, or you have some trouble with functional literacy. Is the title confusing you? I don't expect a career in the traditional sense of making the average animator salary. I have stated how much I expect to make, multiple times.
Good luck with your career.
I don't want a career, I want the most efficient method of stopping the financial bleeding(that's where $350 comes in), while I dedicate my time on a long-term project that will set me up for life. I already know I can do that project, but I first have to stop the financial bleeding.
chucky

Post by chucky »

So, I was thinking of scrapping the whole "freelance writing" and dedicate myself to animation career.
:mrgreen:

Or maybe you could be a barista for a few months?
Last edited by chucky on Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

ColdCrystal wrote:...I don't want a career, I want the most efficient method of stopping the financial bleeding(that's where $350 comes in), while I dedicate my time on a long-term project that will set me up for life. I already know I can do that project, but I first have to stop the financial bleeding.
But...the title of your topic is 'Switching careers'...And this just isn't a world where an average person can be 'set up for life'...and pitching for freelance animation work with no contacts in the industry and little experience is not going to get you much money. I think the phrase you're looking for is "Do you want fries with that?"
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
chucky

Post by chucky »

jahnocli wrote: I think the phrase you're looking for is "Do you want fries with that?"
Same page John :lol: