Wanted:Animators/Compositors. 4x 1 minute pitch vid for TV

Want to hire an Moho animator? Post your job listing here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

Let's go back to square one. I am a little lost as to what you are looking for. Anime Studio is a 2D program. Y&Y is a 3D project. Sure there are plenty of animators & compositors here but the look of Anime Studio is clearly different. Had his post appeared on the Blender forums, I would understand - matching 3D mouths to the 3D characters would be a relatively easy task, you are not talking Babe lipsync replacement.

But your trailer and the stills clearly have 3D mouth, something which AS isn't going to be able to copy. Your idea is to make a few minutes of work to show to the broadcasters.

Unless I missed some bit of a trailer where you have a mix of 2D/3D, (my internet feed in this part of the world is still slow following the earthquake which severed the undersea fiber optic cables), then I don't understand why you are asking the 2D guys to work on a 3D film.

If you are doing this mix, post some stills or guide of what you want people to do.

Rhoel.
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

yoshimiandkatoi wrote: i bet if you were to ask, people would know Aardman Animations and Creature Comforts/Wallace before Will Vinton
To the industry, claymation is legally associated with Will Vinton, and most famously linked to California Raisins. That is my comment, legally as in trademarked.

Aardmans use the term Plasticine or Clay Animation, rather than the trademarked Claymation.

It's a small but factually correct point.
Touched

Post by Touched »

I'll address the part that was in reply to my statement:
yoshimiandkatoi wrote:- working for free in TV/Film - without people working for free, short films would never, ever get made. Then people would not get the experience to make the step up to wherever they want to get. You couldn't possibly say that every bit of animation you have ever done has been a paid for project.
No, of course it wasn't. But after a very early experience of animating something on spec and finding it to have been a wasted effort, everything I've animated since then that was not a paid project was in fact a personal project of mine or of my own studio, which is what I was advocating. (This doesn't count the occasions that I've animated something small as a favour for a friend of mine, which is very different than working for free in hopes of getting my foot in the door.) When I landed my biggest professional animation job a few years ago, it was on the strength of my own personal projects, because my style was what they were looking for.
Manu

Post by Manu »

There is "influenced" and there is "too close for comfort" when it comes to character designs. Of course, every artist is a thief. The art is to cover your tracks. When I had a first quick glance at you website, I seriously thought that you guys had hired James Jarvis. I then realised the designs weren't quite up to the standard I'd expect from someone as J. Jarvis...

I criticised the website because I think it's full of hot air. A lot of talk about "the next big thing...", a lot of name-dropping. All I see is bad copies of existing designs, a lot of cultural references (Pulp Fiction of all things, the most often referenced film in the world) and puerile humour with that Funky Munky character (who, by the way, smells a bit too much of Flat Eric).

In short: this doesn't look like a company that will give anybody a foot in any door. If Pixar asked me to work for free, I might call it an opportunity. Pixar don't ever ask anybody to work for free.

I'm not here to give "constructive criticism". I'm under no illusion you're looking for constructive criticism, so I'm not offering it. All you're looking for is a free lunch. I'm here to let everybody know this is a bad deal.

I've worked in this industry for more than ten years. I know hot air when I see it.
DK

Post by DK »

>Hi DK, not sure what you mean by 'service exchange' - if you could give >me an example...??

What I mean is...Surely there is something YOU can offer, as a service, (like use of your camera, camera man, equipment), in exchange for the services of a professional animator instead of just asking for a freebie?
I think that this would have been a more acceptable approach on this forum. We don't mind helping people who are just starting or having difficulty in using Anime Studio etc but to represent yourself as a commercial venture with a cold hard post for a freebie is what I think what people are annoyed about. btw, you did'nt answer my question regarding the Funky Town theme song. Are you paying royalties to use this in your video clip?

D.K
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

DK wrote:Are you paying royalties to use this in your video clip?
NB: DK is asking you if you have a MCPS pink slip, which is required before transmission, calculated on the regions to be seen in (in this case worldwide), charged by the per 30 second block usage.
cribble

Post by cribble »

DAMM IT

i was in london on the weekend and i didn't see this. I would've happily popped down. Plus i'm looking to extend my portfolio, so i'm whoring jobs right now!

Only problem i can see is that i live in Bath at the moment - while i'm planning on spending a month, in the summer, in London (Honor Oak Park). Though, i could come up on a bi-weekly basis - so long i get travel costs covered. Though this might be a problem as it sounds like you guys are starting already - depends though. If it's something i could just pick up, discuss some stuff, run away, work at it, give back - then it might do-able... all depends on the amount of work uni sets me this week.

Also, i have a band to juggle (which reminds me - if you need any sound-tracking - just ask) - and the band prioritizes depending on gigs, rehearsals etc.

Anyway, if you're interested in my help, contact me via my [url=htt://www.cribble.net]website[/url] (also see some current work) or scott[at]cribble[dot]net

I sort of wish people on the board lost their negative attitude to free work sometimes. OK, There are some good points here and there, but all we're doing is giving this forum a bad reputation. I know there;s the whole "Yeah, but then all the jobs will be free and we'll get walked over" but fuck it, i'm out there to have fun right now - let my student loan sort the worries out!!!!
--Scott
cribble.net
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

cribble wrote: i'm looking to extend my portfolio, ... i live in Bath ... i'm out there to have fun right now - let my student loan sort the worries out!!!!
Considering your location, why not contact the local film/arts workshops, push for work experience at BBC, NHU or HTV at Bristol or travel over to Chapter Arts Centre in Cardiff - the later has excellent film facilities: Severnside is a very active film and animation area. Cardiff and Bristol are both centers of excellence, both have plenty of television companies and support service companies - HTV Bristol centre (on Bath Road?) has several rental and grips companies on site as does HTV Culverhouse Cross, Cardiff. BBC Wales has a long waiting list but Derwen (post) and Pyramid (post) are highly regarded. All these places are good entry points to the industry.

You don't need to rush to London to get experience.

Rhoel
Manu

Post by Manu »

cribble wrote:I sort of wish people on the board lost their negative attitude to free work sometimes. OK, There are some good points here and there, but all we're doing is giving this forum a bad reputation. I know there;s the whole "Yeah, but then all the jobs will be free and we'll get walked over" but fuck it, i'm out there to have fun right now - let my student loan sort the worries out!!!!
It's an informed negative attitude. Honestly, I'm on your side.

Listen to Rhoel, try and get some work experience at one of the places he mentions. You will have to apply for the job yourself and have to put up with a few no's. But that's the reality of it.

Someone coming along and offering you a job just like that, I can see why it's appealing. But you know what they say, if it sound too good to be true...

You can search the entire forum and look at all he messages I've left over time. I don't think I've ever used such harsh comments as in this thread. And for a very good reason. Honestly, do yourself a favour man, stay away from this lot. Do what Rhoel said, initially it'll be harder that way, but in the long run you're much better off.
cribble

Post by cribble »

Whoa.

I've been applying for work experience dotted around various places. London, Bristol, Cornwall (what? it's local for me) - most haven't got back to me yet. BBC certainly haven't. I shall try Wales as my lecturer was saying it's quite good for production companies over there.

There's alot of film groups that i still haven't attended to yet, mainly because i'm quite busy (away most fortnights kicking the band into shape for a tour, uni work) - but am trying to make the effort, as well as keep personal projects up.

My point is, i don't mind doing the work experience as well as working with other people on their projects - paid or not. I just ask for what ever expenses covered (like travel).

And Rhoel, i'm not rushing, it was simply convenience. I could've just popped along, said hi, checked out the project - even then i could've said "no". But thanks for the info on Wales, I'm going to do a bit of research into that, dead useful.

So anyway, they've found someone now who is very good. So all the best to them, and i would love to see the final product.
--Scott
cribble.net
Nucleus

Post by Nucleus »

Took a look at the site. that video was pretty funny as well and superbly exectued. Id offer my services, but really not even close to being pro at this and time is always clipping my heels. I do however wish you much success on this as well as future endeavors. seems like you guys may really be onto to something there.
-Gustavo.

"Wont you take me to... Funky Town!" ;)
"Queso"