particles system looks ''sticked''

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DominiqueBray

particles system looks ''sticked''

Post by DominiqueBray »

Hi

I'm having a problem with the particles system. While it's sending objects at random x and y, it sends many objects at the same place, like if the random x and y were sticked... :?

example 1 : http://dom-productions.ovh.org/perso/pa ... ssai_9.avi

example 2 : http://dom-productions.ovh.org/perso/pa ... sai_10.avi

Do I make a mistake or is it a bug ?

Here are the settings :
ex1 Image

ex2 Image

Thanks to help me.
________
SMOKE KILLS
Last edited by DominiqueBray on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
DK

Post by DK »

Hi DominiqueBray,
I've posted this problem several times on the forum over the years and have had no response. I called it Snaking, where particles follow each other in a line. At best guess it's a bug that needs to be fixed.

Cheers
D.K
DominiqueBray

Post by DominiqueBray »

What a shame... :?
Did you find a trick to avoid this annoying Snaking effect ?
________
HOT BOX VAPORIZERS
Last edited by DominiqueBray on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
DK

Post by DK »

No....but sometimes if you fiddle with the objects in your particle, say break the particle objects up into several individual layers under the main particle layer or move the layer order around or off centre the bjects you can sometimes get lucky and minimize it. Sorry to be so general with the explanation but it seems to be a bug and you just have to experiment. Funny thing is, sometimes I'll make a particle and it will work perfectly with all objects spitting out nice and random but then other times I get the snaking.

Cheers
D.K
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Hey, I haven't done much of anything with particles yet, but I've been testing it out to see if I could help figure this problem out.
This is what I've figured out so far. This 'snaking' problem seems to stem from your particle source dimensions. It looks like each of these is the amount of randomness 'travel' along each axis. The height is how far it can randomly spit out particles along the y-axis, the width is the x-axis, and the depth is the z-axis. So if you have any amount of z-axis travel, since you're looking straight down this axis, it looks like it spits out particles from the same place.
I hope that helps.

How did you get that perspective effect, especially with the buterflies? I tried rotating the particle layer, but I have no idea how you got them to look 3d.
DK

Post by DK »

Hi synthsin75.

Are you reffering to the "Source Depth" value in the particle settings?

Cheers
D.K
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Yeah, source depth is along the z-axis.
Last edited by synthsin75 on Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Genete

Post by Genete »

DominiqueBray wrote:What a shame... :?
Did you find a trick to avoid this annoying Snaking effect ?
Try to solve it pressing the randomize button
DominiqueBray

Post by DominiqueBray »

How did you get that perspective effect, especially with the buterflies? I tried rotating the particle layer, but I have no idea how you got them to look 3d.
The buterflies are made of several 2D plans to fake 3d. :wink:
Here is the .anme file if somebody is interested in it. ( Please do not use any part in your own projects, I may use it in the commercial project I am working on so it would become copyrighted. )
Try to solve it pressing the randomize button
It solves the problem for a single frame, but in the animation it stills.
________
NEVADA DISPENSARIES
Last edited by DominiqueBray on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

For some reason the buterfly particle layer is freezing ASP. Thanks for sharing though. Yeah, I didn't find the randomize button too useful either.
DominiqueBray

Post by DominiqueBray »

Yes it freezes ASP for a few seconds on my computer as well.
My butterfly is made of png transparent pictures, our computers can manage a preview of one but it's a too heavy work to compute a preview of several objects like this.

But there is a butterfly alone in the "Papillon1.1" group, this one won't freeze.
Thanks for sharing though
You're welcome. I did learn a lot of things studying files that people share here, so the least I can do to thanks you all is sharing the tricks I find myself. :wink:
________
Lamborghini estoque
Last edited by DominiqueBray on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

But there is a butterfly alone in the "Papillon1.1" group, this one won't freeze.
Yeah, I really like how you built that. It looks fuller than I'd expect from only five planes. Nice timing too. I don't understand some of the layer rotations yet (like the particle star not facing the camera), but I'll have to figure out such a nice effect eventually.
DK

Post by DK »

So DominiqueBray, has synthsin75's z depth solution worked for you?

D.K
DominiqueBray

Post by DominiqueBray »

No, did it work for you ?
________
How To Roll A Blunt
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Well, changing the source depth to zero seems to have helped the butterfly particles, but I have yet to be able to fix the star particle.

DominiqueBray, I fixed the problem with it freezing up ASP. I looked at the file's text and found a star particle within the butterfly particle. Pulling this out of the butterfly particle group allows everything to run smoothly.