particles system looks ''sticked''

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DK

Post by DK »

I have not been able to find my file that was snaking but I will have another look and try it out to see if it makes any difference. I hope synthsin75's solution works for me as it has been a problem with particles that has tured me away from using them for some time.

D.K
DK

Post by DK »

I just managed to recreate the snaking effect and YES! synthsin75's suggestion solved the problem. As soon as I set the source depth to "0" the problem went away. Nice work synthsin75 :)

D.K
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Thanks DK, it worked on my tests and the butterfly example, but the star example has its layers rotated around, so its hard to tell which direction each source dimension is pointing.

These look like pretty ambitious particles though. It should work for most usual particle usage.
DominiqueBray

Post by DominiqueBray »

The problem is the depth is not the depth but the height... The height is the width, and the width is the depth...
So when I set the depth to 0 all my particles are at the same Y.
I tried setting height to 0 instead of the depth, but it still snaking.

The trick I've found to solve this flatness problem is to make three particles layers at three different heights ! So all my butterflies don't have the same Y.

But I can't use this trick with the stars, they need to be scattered all around.
Pulling this out of the butterfly particle group allows everything to run smoothly.
Oh yeah, I was planing to use it for fairy dust, but I disabled it. I thought since it was disabled it would not have to be computed.
________
Arizona medical marijuana
Last edited by DominiqueBray on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
DominiqueBray

Post by DominiqueBray »

Here is what it looks like as now. I think it starts looking quite good :) , but I'm still having trouble with the stars particles.

As "Source witdh" is actually the depth :? I set it to 0, "Source height" to 22, and "Source depth" to 15. And as you can see, it stills snaking.

Setting depth=0 witdh=0 height=22 gives this flat horizontal result :

Setting depth=15 witdh=0 height=0 gives this flat vertical result :
( You can see the pink star is still snaking all the same... )
________
Medical marijuana patients
Last edited by DominiqueBray on Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Okay, I looked at this again, and was able to fix the star particle's 'snaking'. I'm not sure, but this does appear to be a bit of a bug with the particle system. I haven't figured out why it does this, but luckily I was able to 'trick' it into behaving properly.

It's a pretty easy fix. What you need to do is duplicate the star's image layer. Select its particle layer and hit play. You should still see the 'snaking'. (It seems to increase as it plays.) In the layers window, turn off the visibility of the duplicate. The number of stars will halve, but with them goes that annoying 'snaking'.

It seems that this 'bug' only applies to one layer at a time. Now to make this fix permanent, go to frame zero and double click that duplicate layer. Set it to 'Hide in editing view' and 'Don't render this layer'.

Now to fix the number of particles, just double your 'Particle count' and 'Preview particles' in the particle options menu.

I hope that works for all of the particles you're using. If not let me know. :)
DK

Post by DK »

Ahhh...That makes sense now that you mention it, I remember that I did notice that the snaking was occurring on only one layer. Brilliant fix synthsin75.

D.K
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Thanks DK, solving stuff like this is helping me learn as I go. This was actually the first I'd messed with particles. It's always nice to take a break from my more tedious work in AS.
DominiqueBray

Post by DominiqueBray »

Thaaaaaaaaaanks !!!! :)
________
Box Vaporizer
Last edited by DominiqueBray on Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Didi

Post by Didi »

Hm guys, we're on december 2010 and this problem is still in the very last ASP version... :?
chucky

Post by chucky »

Still bugs out and its nearly 2012 but synthsin's visibility trick is a great workaround to an old, old, old bug. :?
Genete

Post by Genete »

Is it me? or most of the post signatures of DominiqueBray have been modified with spammimg links?
-G
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

You think his account was hacked?
Genete

Post by Genete »

GCharb wrote:You think his account was hacked?
Looks like that.
-G
animejay

Fixed in Anime Studio 8

Post by animejay »

The snaking issue and particles showing up closer in z-space then previously originated particles are both fixed in Anime Studio 8