Update 12.1 - problems with masks & Layers

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

SuperSGL

Update 12.1 - problems with masks & Layers

Post by SuperSGL »

I have a hole in the wall and use a mask over the entire room. Now, when I Alt-Right click (windows) to select a layer below it automatically selects the mask (im assuming because it's on top) I've tried all kinds of combinations nothing seems to work (alt SHIFT seems to select group layer?). Before the update was working fine. Work around was to hide the mask. Luckily I can select objects in the mask when it's not hidden.
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
Greenlaw

Re: Update 12.1 - problems with masks & Layers

Post by Greenlaw »

SuperSGL wrote:I...when I Alt-Right click (windows) to select a layer below it automatically selects the mask (im assuming because it's on top)

That's correct, this shortcut always selects what's directly under the cursor, whether it's visible or not. It's why I tend to use Image Texture instead of masking for texture fills, otherwise the mask may prevent me from selecting switches and such in the workspace.

Regarding your masking situation: unfortunately, I'm not sure there's a way to select a layer through a large mask shape in an upper layer. I might be wrong but I don' t think we've ever been able to do that. You'll need to select the layer directly in the Layers window.

But here's a crazy workaround that might help: Link the mask layer to an SBD and use the SBD to move it out of the way so you can access the layers beneath it. Then, when you're ready to render the scene, use the SBD to move the mask back in place. Or even simpler, just move the mask layer out of the way in frame 1 and delete the keyframe before your render. (This option assumes the mask layer is in position at frame 0 of course.)
I've tried all kinds of combinations nothing seems to work (alt SHIFT seems to select group layer?)
Yes, that's correct. This is useful when, for example, you want to edit a mouth Switch--using Alt Shift will let you select the Switch layer that the mouth drawing you click over belongs to, saving you the trouble of drilling down the hierarchy for it. (Although, for Switch selection and keyframing, I personally prefer Ctrl+Alt+Right-click to call up a Switch list in the Workspace and not bother with the Layers window at all.)
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

12.0 and 12.1 have the exact same behavior, so I don't see why you're having problems with 12.1.
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

I probably had it hidden while I was working on the characters and now that I'm ready to animate everything is visible, just pure chance that it started right when I updated to 12.1
Thanks for the reply's
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations