Keyframes changed unwanted and unasked for

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Diana Kennedy

Keyframes changed unwanted and unasked for

Post by Diana Kennedy »

I stil have to deal with a very annoying behavior of Moho and can't figure oyut how to avoid this.

I explain: Let's say I am working on a shape from frame 1 to 10. I adjust und translate points on each frame. "Relative keyframing is disabled, freeze keyframe is on and I do keyframe EVERY frame, on order to really "fix" what I did. Alll works fine.
Then I go on working on that shape from frame 11 to 20. same procedure. All works fine from 11 to 20. But rewinding back, now frames 1 - 10 are distorted. The work I did is gone! shape is not anymore where and how I made it. Which causes me to do all the work again. Over and over.

HOW CAN I AVOID THIS?????
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Keyframes changed unwanted and unasked for

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Can you share a file or a video showing the process?
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Diana Kennedy

Post by Diana Kennedy »

I will making a screen-video to show it.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Are you keyframing all points on every frame, or only the ones you touch?
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

on frame 11 - do you key something (e.g. a bone or layer motion or ..) that wasn't animated in 1-10?? If so that needs to be keyed at 10 in its initial state. If not I'll have another think...
Diana Kennedy

Post by Diana Kennedy »

synthsin75 wrote:Are you keyframing all points on every frame, or only the ones you touch?

Al frames.
Diana Kennedy

Post by Diana Kennedy »

hayasidist wrote:on frame 11 - do you key something (e.g. a bone or layer motion or ..) that wasn't animated in 1-10?? If so that needs to be keyed at 10 in its initial state. If not I'll have another think...
Hm...I do a general Keyframing on the main folder affecting ALL Sub layers, On Frame 1, then 10, then 15. and so on. But the fames in between are only keyframed on the shape am working on, not for exempample, on the bone that that said shape belongs to.

However, here are the vids:

First Video shows a finished animation of the under part of the paw. Frame 234 up to 242. As you see, all works perfect.

After that I went to frame 260, did a new general Keyframe on the whole Character Folder. Then I started to work on the frames between - and Paff! It destroys what I did on the 234 - 242. area:

it drives me mad. :cry:
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Post it to my Dropbox.

I can fix it. It looks like you have lay and point motion at the same time.

Dale
Diana Kennedy

Post by Diana Kennedy »

Dale,

O fixed it already (did the same job twice - as usual) But i will upload the file into our dropbox this evening. I just want to finish it, it lacks only 10 framles until its finished.
What I desperatly need to know os HOW to avoid this behavior of Moho.

Yes, I animated bones and points in he same time. Tought that wouyld be possible.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I'm working on Szene 21right now. picklasso just jumps into the shot. I'm changing it so he slides into the shot. So I'm adding the extra movement in animation.

I will take a look at it today.

Dale
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Without seeing the file, a couple of guesses:

My first thought was the same as dueyftw's, that there was an unintended layer transform either on the mainline or accidentally keyframed in an action.

Or, it could be happening in an Action. Is the point animation being drive by the leg bone the points are parented to, or are you combining multiple Actions here? If the points are keyframed in two different actions, they might be conflicting with each other, creating double transforms.

What you also want to watch out for is doing the point animation both, inside an action AND on the mainline. You risk creating additive transformations that could result in unwanted deformations.

FYI, it's okay to combine point animations with bones, I do it all the time. You just need to be aware of actions and bones that will be moving the points around and make sure they're not going to conflict with each other. I try to minimize these situations or avoid them outright if I can, or I may create two rigs, one for general use that covers most actions, and an alternative setup that's designed for a scene-specific performance but may not work as well for more general animations.

Hope any of that is helpful.