Points jumping when I move them at all

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Cherry Studios

Points jumping when I move them at all

Post by Cherry Studios »

Does anyone know why this is happening? I'm using Moho Pro 12, and was animating this character for a couple of days before this glitch started. The character has bones, and only one smart bone, which is being used in the animation to turn the head. In the video below, you'll see that it's only the points on her head that jump around when I try to move them at all. The points on her body stay where I put them.

https://youtu.be/Gk7PnbYRIq0

This is super frustrating because sometimes a smart action isn't specific enough for the movement I need, and I need to move the points a bit. I've done it before with no problems. This definitely seems to be happening because of a glitch with the head turn smart action. I've thought about deleting the head turn action and then recreating it, but I'm afraid the same thing could happen again and I'd have wasted even more time.

Does anybody know a way to fix this glitch? Any help would really be appreciated!
Greenlaw

Re: Points jumping when I move them at all

Post by Greenlaw »

Looks like Bezier points problems to me.

I generally avoid using Bezier points for animated points or points that will be deformed by bones. Using standard Moho points are more predictable. I do like using Bezier points for elements that I don't intend to deform.

Victor has some tips for making Bezier points behave more predictably elsewhere in this forum. A search should turn up the thread. It's very good information but, unless I absolutely need Bezier points in a character (which is almost never,) I avoid dealing with the problem altogether.

Sometimes points will get unstable when you have conflicts in your Smart Bone Actions (i.e., two different actions fighting for control over position or curvature.) When combined with Bezier points, the artwork will almost certainly explode. :)

You can solve such conflicts using Multrush's Mixed Smart Bones technique (there are a couple of videos about this in YouTube.) I would especially avoid using Bezier points in this situation.
Cherry Studios

Re: Points jumping when I move them at all

Post by Cherry Studios »

By bezier points, do you mean any points that were manipulated with the bezier handles? I'm trying to figure out if there's an alternative to bezier points or if I should just lay off using the handles...
Thanks for the tips, by the way! Just got through watching Mult Rush's video. I had no idea you could mix smart bone actions like that!