Please fix the vector import

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Helios Multi

Please fix the vector import

Post by Helios Multi »

Hi,

I recently downloaded the demo and I really like the program.

The only thing that keeps me from using it is the very poor import of illustrator files (or flash files) when they are under a vector format.

Here is an example of a very simple shape (every file I imported were badly imported too).

Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

The issue here is that Moho and Illustrator, while they're both vector-based programs, represent curves in very different ways. I tjust isn't possible for Moho to display curves exactly as they are in Illustrator - an approximation process happens when you import an Illustrator file.

Sometimes this works great, and sometimes you need to do some tweaking and correction after importing a file. It's not that the function is "broken" and can be "fixed". It's a more fundamental difference between how the two programs work.
Helios Multi

Post by Helios Multi »

I understand your point that Moho doesn't understand curves the same way Illustrator does, but could it be at least possible to improve (or change) the approximation algorythm of Moho to reduce the big difference between the two, or maybe have a Illustrator to Moho export plugin ?

I'm not telling you I want Moho to work the same way illustrator does, but if I have to correct every shape I import it's a lot of time wasted especially on more complex scenes.

I'm not tryin to be a jackass, it's simply that I see so much potential in it that you just can't leave this issue this way. In my opinion it could make or break you, and I'm dead serious.
spasmodic_cheese

Post by spasmodic_cheese »

I think many people would agreeo n this. Ive been very frustrated that I cannot import my artwork properly many a time.

Its not so bad once you start tracing in moho... but it is an extra step.
DK

Post by DK »

I can understand where you're coming from...i used to get frustrated at the import difficulties too till i started using the Moho environment to create my work from scratch rather than use CorelDraw or Illustrator...Now i would'nt even consider working outside Moho...Once you get used to it...it's amazingly quick...especially with all the latest improvements in V5 makes it even quicker.

D.K