Simple Stuff

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Flintlock

Simple Stuff

Post by Flintlock »

I have the trial version of Anime Studio Pro 6, and I've been seriously considering a purchase. However, there are a few things that are bothersome for me.

Right off the bat, I do not like that every time you load up the program it loads the default project. It should load either a blank project based on user-specified default parameters (video format, width/height, frames per second, number of frames, etc...), or no project at all. Or, perhaps the user can tell it to load the last project, or something.

Another thing that annoys me is that I have to maximize the window every time I start up. It should remember the window state from last time, like almost every other Windows program out there.

Some other things:

I know the program is oriented towards IK/FK keyframe animation, but why can't it be just as good at frame-by-frame animation? I've got to use another program to sketch out my frames - a program that will let me flip through to check the animation - and then export the images. Then, I have to import the images into AS. This is very time consuming.

The above can be overcome if you can take your stylus and sketch, using the vector tools, on a normal layer. The only problem with this is that the nodes are always active, and they get in the way.

Also, the styles and colors are a little confusing. I'd like to see a palette in list form, with the names of the colors I've assigned to them. Or, even a list of styles with names.

If more support for frame-by-frame is added, and some minor annoyances are taken care of - not really much of a change at all - AS would rival any other package. I do not see that it would be that much of a difference in the existing program.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Simple Stuff

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Flintlock wrote:Right off the bat, I do not like that every time you load up the program it loads the default project. It should load either a blank project based on user-specified default parameters (video format, width/height, frames per second, number of frames, etc...), or no project at all. Or, perhaps the user can tell it to load the last project, or something.
Try deleting (or changing the name of) StartupFile.anme
Flintlock wrote:Another thing that annoys me is that I have to maximize the window every time I start up. It should remember the window state from last time, like almost every other Windows program out there.
yeah, I know it, but can't give you any solution.
Flintlock wrote:I know the program is oriented towards IK/FK keyframe animation, but why can't it be just as good at frame-by-frame animation?
Yes, it's an old feature request I hope some day be heared. Anyway, AS work awesomely even without that frame by frame. Sometime ago I found a russian guy who worked with sketched and AS and got fantastic results. check it here, it's very inspiring.
Flintlock wrote:The above can be overcome if you can take your stylus and sketch, using the vector tools, on a normal layer. The only problem with this is that the nodes are always active, and they get in the way.
Have you tried to uncheck paths button? It on the bottom of the main screen, close to "display quality" button.
Flintlock wrote:Also, the styles and colors are a little confusing. I'd like to see a palette in list form, with the names of the colors I've assigned to them. Or, even a list of styles with names.
Styles are a little confusing at first, but once you get them, it's very easy and powerful. Mi advice is give it some time.
Flintlock wrote:If more support for frame-by-frame is added, and some minor annoyances are taken care of - not really much of a change at all - AS would rival any other package. I do not see that it would be that much of a difference in the existing program.
Of course AS can be always be a better software (and I'm pretty sure Smithmicro and Mike Clifton are working on that), but Anime Studio, as it is right now, is an amazing software, able to get easily almost any style, so I always recommend to purchase it.
I know I'm too fan, but you can check your self what I'm talking about here on share your work section or in the official gallery.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

If you are under Windows, just right click the icon on your desktop, then open properties, under shortcut/run, select maximize instead of normal window, this will start it full screen.

AS Pro has very basic frame by frame capabilities, you can find a tutorial on that under help. But as selgin said, even without it it is a really powerful animation software, and I doubt you will ever find one as easy to use.

AS Pro is mainly a cutout animation software, but it can be much more then that with features like morph blends, point animation etc.

As mentionned by selgin, you can delete or use any startup file you like under Startup folder in AS Pro main folder, mine I just changed it's name to StartupFile - Bak.anme so it does not load when I start AS Pro.

Also, the color palettes are simply images, you could easily make your own and put them in the palettes folder. The color registration process needs work, but it does the job as it is.

AS Pro is different then other 2d animation software, I used many of them but my choice goes back to AS Pro, it is cheaper, simple to use and you can make astonishing animation with it.

Hope this helps.

G
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Thanks guys, the tips helped. The only problem with unchecking the show paths button is that you can't see the line as you draw it! This little change would help out immensely.

When it comes to the styles and such, I have the standard AS 5 and was hoping it had gotten a little easier in v.6. The point I wanted to make is that they can make it easier to use without altering its functionality. Just do some interface programming and make it much more intuitive about what's being applied and what's not.

For color picking - I know that you can edit a swatch image. But see, that's just too tedious. Why can't I just create a list of colors as a palette from within the program? That would be so much easier.

I already know that AS Pro is different - and that it's powerful and can do some amazing stuff. I just feel these minor issues should be addressed in a new version. They are minor annoyances, but they are deterring me from buying it.

I would not want features to be added that make it more complicated to use. Actually, the things I mentioned could make it easier and more intuitive to use than it already is.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

GCharb wrote:If you are under Windows, just right click the icon on your desktop, then open properties, under shortcut/run, select maximize instead of normal window, this will start it full screen.
Very clever, GCharb! thanks for the tip :D
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

TY selgin and GCharb as I now have rid myself of the start up project.

I Never knew to just rename the file :D
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Next version of AS Pro was just announced to be out soon, may solve some, if not all of your issues!

G
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

selgin/sbmatu, you are quite welcome!
G
crsP

Post by crsP »

Instead of renaming the file, you could go to file~> new and set your project settings like output size, background colour, fps etc, then save that file and choose the 'startup.anime' file and replace it. So now you have a default blank canvas with your favourite settings. Just another way to do it.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

crsP wrote:Instead of renaming the file, you could go to file~> new and set your project settings like output size, background colour, fps etc, then save that file and choose the 'startup.anime' file and replace it. So now you have a default blank canvas with your favourite settings. Just another way to do it.
True, but if you delete the file, or rename it, then set default scene settings under scene settings, then the same happens, without having to rely on a startup file.

Just another way to do it! :)

G
crsP

Post by crsP »

Didn't know that. But I was thinking that with my method you could also for example add a second layer to the project and rename it 'background' and you'll have two layers every time you start up with one already named. Things like that could save some time, if that is a commonality throughout your projects.