Better Drawing and Painting Tools

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Matsuemon

Post by Matsuemon »

Hey Rudiger,
Yes Inkscape is what I was thinking of! haha. Yah I recall when I tried to export the pic it said something like I could export the points but not the lines, or something like that. But it wouldn't let me even open it in AS. Oh well.
I just feel like you're really limited in the amount of detail you can put into a model, using vectors and points anyway, but I guess there's no way around that until such time as they come out with rastor drawing tools, which would be cool for more detailed stuff.
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

Hi Matsuemon,

Yeah, you're right. In general, it takes more time to put in more detail with a vector tool than with a bitmap tool, but normally you want to minimise the detail in animated characters anyway, so vectors are a perfect fit. It also has the added benefit of allowing you to automatically generate inbetweens instead of drawing every frame by hand.

You can still do backgrounds with vectors as well. I refer to his work far to often, but take a look at Parker's background work to see what sort of detail you can add using AS's vector tools.
Matsuemon

Post by Matsuemon »

Hey Rudiger,
Yep you basically hit the nail on the head. Raster drawing would be more detailed and easier, but you wouldn't have the same flexibility and ease of animation. I guess the bottom line is both methods have their good and bad points. I'll definitely check out the guy you mentioned. Thanks for the input and the good info =)
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

Matsuemon wrote:Hey Rudiger,
Yep you basically hit the nail on the head. Raster drawing would be more detailed and easier, but you wouldn't have the same flexibility and ease of animation. I guess the bottom line is both methods have their good and bad points. I'll definitely check out the guy you mentioned. Thanks for the input and the good info =)
http://www.coroflot.com/public/individu ... ty=12&c=1&
Matsuemon

Post by Matsuemon »

Wow, Parker, I just looked at your cartoon backgrounds, and they are great! I particularly liked a couple of the night time city backgrounds. Going to look at the tutorial you linked, now =)