Particle Effects tweaks

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

fracturedray

Particle Effects tweaks

Post by fracturedray »

If you read the link below you will see that there are a few extra tasks to make a simple star field effect.

http://www.mediafire.com/?er99e3auffma7l7

I'd like to request that the 3 dimensions for the emitter be visible and perhaps different colors like the axis in 3D software. This way it will be easier to tell what direction the emitter is oriented.

Or possibly add the z axis to the possible directions for the particles.

Also for the most part the particles are randomly placed. However near the center of the particle there does seem to be obvious trails (repeated use of same starting position) Could this be tweaked so that it is not so obvious?
Hi animation world.
fracturedray

Post by fracturedray »

I'd also like the option to choose world direction or emitter direction.

Look at this to see why.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwoqL5gbdCc

You can see that the particles are changing the direction of the flow as the bones are rotated. If world direction was possible the the particles would constantly move the same way no matter how the bones are oriented.
Hi animation world.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

fracturedray wrote:You can see that the particles are changing the direction of the flow as the bones are rotated. If world direction was possible the the particles would constantly move the same way no matter how the bones are oriented.
You can solve the bad particle rotation using this technique
viewtopic.php?t=15726
I know it's not perfect and requires a lot of bones, but anyway it's nice to know it, I use it a lot for several cases and works fine to maintain a particle layer pointing always to a desired direction.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

Great ideas! Very useful.

Also, It would be great to use the vector tools to draw the particle emitter in any shape. I hate having blank corners when I make a starry night with the oval emitter.

And it would be useful to make particle layers animatable. (I'm still using ASP6) I'd like to be able to turn a faucet on and off without changing the visibility of the particle sub layers.