An enhanced colour picker

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

lpbaker

An enhanced colour picker

Post by lpbaker »

One thing I'm missing in ASP compared to Toon Boom Animate is the ability to choose colours via H/S/V rather than R/G/B.

H/S/V is a much nicer way to choose colours - if I want to create a shadow colour for the side of a blue box, I can use the Value slider to darken it without changing the actual blue. If I want it to recede into the background, I can make it greyer using the Saturation slider, and so on. Using R/G/B or the current "pointer" makes this a bit hit-and-miss.

So here's how I'd like to see the colour picker enhanced;

1. Add sliders to the R/G/B controls - much more user-friendly than typing in new values.

2. The option to display 0-100% in R/G/B/Alpha rather than 0-255.

3. Under the current Red/Green/Blue/Alpha, add matching fields and sliders for Saturation and Value (there's already a hue slider!)

... AND/OR ...

4. Scrollbars on the bottom and side of the square colour picker area, which move the pointer - so, drag the bottom scrollbar left/right for Saturation, and the side scrollbar up/down for Value. Obviously these scrollbars would need to respond when the pointer itself is moved.

... AND/OR ...

5. Modifier keys in the square colour picker area - eg, hold SHIFT to only be able to drag the pointer left and right (thus changing Saturation) or CTRL to only be able to drag the pointer up and down (thus changing Value).

Since the underlying functionality is already mostly there, these changes are fairly minor, but they'd make the world of difference to people like me from an art background who are used to thinking in terms of colour and value rather than RGB.

~ Lindsay
My website --> http://www.lpbaker.com
My most recent animation --> http://www.vimeo.com/13665264
Aritz

Post by Aritz »

Eyedropper buttons next to fill and stroke colors to pick color from screen or canvas. And the same button too for color picker dialog box, like in photoshop.

Manu

Re: An enhanced colour picker

Post by Manu »

lpbaker wrote: 1. Add sliders to the R/G/B controls - much more user-friendly than typing in new values.
You can right-click + drag over all numerical input fields to change their values in AS, including the RGB value text fields.
lpbaker wrote:2. The option to display 0-100% in R/G/B/Alpha rather than 0-255.
Agreed. At the moment, layer's opacities are done in percentage, but colours are done in 0-255. A bit inconsistent.

I did a quick and dirty mock-up, just to get the conversation going.

- I added the side-sliders lpbaker was talking about
- An RGB/HSV pop-up menu. I suppose it could have RGB...%, RGB 0-255, HSV
- A colour picker
- Custom swatches that allow drag and drop
Last edited by Manu on Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
x-vishon

Post by x-vishon »

I really think color picking from background of any layer including imported images would be good.