Frame 0 indicator

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Peteroid

Frame 0 indicator

Post by Peteroid »

AS7PRO here.

One of my most common errors (although I'm extremely new, less than a week, maybe this goes away) is to be in a frame other than Frame 0 when I'm in design/creation mode.

How about changing the color of the edit area background to indicate whether the editor is in Frame 0 or not? Possibly even just a change in brightness.

This alerts one visually without having to 'check', since when one is editing one is typically looking at the editing area! So the background color would be something usually (unavoidably) visible...unless of course zoomed in, but THEN one can still look at the frame counter in lower left corner, reducing it to the current status quo in worst-case scenario!

Even better, make it an option, where the user can customize the background colors of the two states (frame 0 vs. not frame 0).

It is possible this feature is already there, as I said, I'm very new here! But so far, AS7PRO is awesome! :)
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Go to preferences, there is a checkbox "Highlight frame 0"
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Peteroid

Post by Peteroid »

selgin wrote:Go to preferences, there is a checkbox "Highlight frame 0"
Cool! That works... I did not know of that feature, and it helps! Thanks!

I would still like to see an option to change the editor background color as well since the highlight is a bit too inconspicuous for me.

I want something more proactive, something that is 'telling me' I'm in Frame 0 or not... rather than places in the interface I can 'visually ask'. I'm referring here to the difference between 'passive' and 'proactive' interface features.

For example, a pop-up dialog box is very proactive. A button you can choose on the toolbar is passive. A flashing button on the toolbar (when something is true, non-flashing when not) is somewhere between the two...

In this regard, a changed background color would have more impact (without causing any harm, especially as an optional feature as i described in my OP)... :)
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

From my own experience and seeing how works people I have teached AS, it's a problem at first, but when you assimilate it doesn't bother you anymore. So, in my opinion, it doesn't necessarily need much more feedback than it has.
Sorry for not being too supportive. Anyway, as help I can tell you that, wherever frame you are, Shift + left arrow goes directly to frame zero.
And that if you made a mistake and draw on another frame, you can always copy and paste the created keys on frame zero, and then delete the old ones.

Good luck.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

I find it helpful to add a note layer with the visibility set for frame zero only. You can then have a more visible way of distinguishing your edit modes. In fact, if you go into your drop downs, under edit preferences you can set your start up file to something you've customized. My startup file includes one each of the different layer types. I simply delete the layers that I won't be using.
Peteroid

Post by Peteroid »

selgin wrote:From my own experience and seeing how works people I have teached AS, it's a problem at first, but when you assimilate it doesn't bother you anymore. So, in my opinion, it doesn't necessarily need much more feedback than it has.
Sorry for not being too supportive. Anyway, as help I can tell you that, wherever frame you are, Shift + left arrow goes directly to frame zero.
And that if you made a mistake and draw on another frame, you can always copy and paste the created keys on frame zero, and then delete the old ones.

Good luck.
No, I totally understand. I even eluded to the notion that this is something that might become second nature to me over time (sort of like how I was conscious of the gas pedal when I first learned how to drive, now I don't hardly think about it).

Although I'm in the camp that if a feature would help enough people, and the option to leave things status quo for those who don't want it is also available, then it is a valid interface feature.

But I might be in a 'vast minority' here... ;)
Peteroid

Post by Peteroid »

jonbo wrote:I find it helpful to add a note layer with the visibility set for frame zero only. You can then have a more visible way of distinguishing your edit modes. In fact, if you go into your drop downs, under edit preferences you can set your start up file to something you've customized. My startup file includes one each of the different layer types. I simply delete the layers that I won't be using.
THAT is a great suggestion!

Hell, I could even emulate what I'm talking about by creating a solid background the color I want which is the size of the editor area, and show it only in only Frame 0 (like you said)!
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

I agree. I've been working with the software for about a year first with AS6 then AS7, and I keep finding new ways to accomplish the tasks that I feel should be easier. I wish I had more time to get into the scripting aspect of this software, because that seems to be really where the most customization can be done. Some of the scripters on this forum do some amazing work. :D