Other Camera Parameters

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Peteroid

Other Camera Parameters

Post by Peteroid »

Camera's can be moved and pointed with all degrees of freedom in a 3D space. So motion is complete.

What I can't find is an ability to change the focal length of the camera. I noticed if I move the camera too far away from a plane I get a fish-eye effect. So there is some 'lens simulation' going on here (i.e., parallax).

It would be nice to be able to zoom in and out. I think this can be simulated by changing the scale of everything. Thus, a camera parameter that acted as an additional 'visual scale multiplier' would be somewhat functionally equivalent to changing the focal length (without distortion effects). And without having to scale everything in the universe. A higher than 1.0 value would be a magnifier, and acts like a zoom-in. Lower than 1.0 acts as zoom-out. This could be given an equivalent lens focal length (2.0X = 100mm lens).

Another cool thing would possibly be f-stop simulation. The higher this number the darker the scene (i.e., modifies color brightness of pixels).

If blurring was a capability then the range in which this blurring does NOT occur is like changing f-stop.

If these are already built into some menu I haven't found (I'm new)... please point me to it! :)
[==Peter==]
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

if you go to your drop-down menus, edit, project settings; you can try playing with enabling the depth of field option. There, you can set parameters for focal distance, focal depth and blur radius.
Peteroid

Post by Peteroid »

jonbo wrote:if you go to your drop-down menus, edit, project settings; you can try playing with enabling the depth of field option. There, you can set parameters for focal distance, focal depth and blur radius.
I didn't see those, thanks!

It looks like the setting is for an entire project.... but I didn't know these variables existed at all! One could break the scene up using different lens settings, then splice together. But no 'animation' zooming I'm guessing with these settings.

Still... glad there is this to play with! :)
[==Peter==]
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

rather than zooming the camera, or using the scale the universe option, try putting your layers into a group layer. Click on the group layer and click on the layer translate tool. If you look below your drop-down menus, you should see where it says layer position with the option to set the parameters for X., Y., and most importantly z axis. If you enter a negative value into the Z. it will push the layer back into the workspace. In essence, zooming out. I try not to use the camera zoom much or scaling options, because sometimes I get inconsistent results like your fisheye effect. Using the Z. axis zooming method. I get more consistent results, and it can be animated.