'Manipulate Bones' vs. Orbit mode + WYSIWYG 'Preview'

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Peteroid

'Manipulate Bones' vs. Orbit mode + WYSIWYG 'Preview'

Post by Peteroid »

Using Orbit mode should not turn off Manipulate Bones mode because it makes sense to want to manipulate bones and then see what it looks like from all angles.

In addition, there should be a mode that does a 'Preview' as a WYSIWYG... that is, from the POV of the workspace.

I often zoom up to look at something, and want to see what preview would look like... only to get this tiny structure in the distance in the resulting preview image.

Orbit is only partially WYSIWYG. Preview does duplicate the Orbit's POV in terms of camera angle, but not camera distance/zoom. So what is shown on the preview image looks as if its a long distance away compared to what I'm seeing in the workspace window.

And anything I do at that point will cause me to lose the view I might have taken some effort to get to (ala 'Manipulate Bones' and the Orbit manipulations, see my previous suggestion).

This isn't a big thing, it's just it would be very helpful to see what you already see on the screen without having to duplicate the pov by creating an actual animation with the camera in the proper position, zoom, and other rotational parameters. But of course that works, too, and has its advantages as well.
[==Peter==]
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

if you split the screen with on eof the icons on the bottom right (just above the timeline) you can set one to orbit, and leave the other normal - you can also zoom right into one, but leave the other zoomed out... you can use bones in the straight up view and see the effect in the rotated view (although since bones don't rotate in 3D I can't think of a use for using bones in orbit?)

You can also set one of the views to 'display quality - preview' so it won't show any points/lines/bones - and even turn on antialiasing which gives you an ALMOST rendered quality to your preview...
Peteroid

Post by Peteroid »

funksmaname wrote:if you split the screen with on eof the icons on the bottom right (just above the timeline) you can set one to orbit, and leave the other normal - you can also zoom right into one, but leave the other zoomed out... you can use bones in the straight up view and see the effect in the rotated view (although since bones don't rotate in 3D I can't think of a use for using bones in orbit?)

You can also set one of the views to 'display quality - preview' so it won't show any points/lines/bones - and even turn on antialiasing which gives you an ALMOST rendered quality to your preview...
I forgot about the multiple views. Possibly because none of the tutorials mention them! Thanx, that's a great tip!
[==Peter==]