SVG support (especially import!)?

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

amiga5k

SVG support (especially import!)?

Post by amiga5k »

Just bought AS Pro 6 (found it on Amazon for $71 including shipping), and I've been playing around with it. Within just a few minutes I was doing some impressive (for me...) animations.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I had stumbled upon the open source program Inkscape and, Wow!, that is quite a nice (free) vector drawing program. Since it is open source, I was wondering if the author(s) of Anime Studio have considered incorporating Inkscape (or it's tools) into AS's program.

Alternately, or in addition to this, if AS could import SVG files directly (which Inkscape produces), that would be an unbeatable combination. So, far, I've not had too much luck with importing other vector type files: "Too many points", LUA crashes or the file imports but all of the layers from the original file are combined into one layer in AS. :(

Anyway, I'm sure great things can be done with AS's built-in drawing commands, but I just thought Inkscape would be a fantastic addition (Anyone who has used Inkscape will back me up on this).

Russell

p.s. The Cairo library (also open source) may also be of use in this area!
p.p.s. SVG export would also come in handy...
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I agree with you about SVG importing, but you must be clear that Anime Studio vectors are different to svg, ai, cdr or any other vector software.
I recommend you to learn drawing directly on Anime Studio. I know Inkscape is good, but it's for still images.
In AS you draw thinking on animation, the number and position of the points is important because you will play with them during all your animation. They are different formats.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
patricia3d

Post by patricia3d »

Try This
Uniconverter ( Free )
Import SVG Export AI
This AI you can import in ASP

Comamnd is
uniconv test.svg test.ai

Its a very tidious job. I have tried very hard to install it, but any how I have done it. You have to install different verions of python ( free) and thru that when you install uniconverter. It will be installed inside the python. After that you have to use DOS imput output. Just google it and you will get lots of tutorials for installing uniconv.

See this image
crsP

Post by crsP »

I think import\export of svg is a good idea. Yes Anime Studio doesn't have bezier handles, but the import process can be made to produce the extra points or point curvature needed to replicate the svg artwork. Not only Inkscape uses svg, and eps is flakey - it's supposed to be a standard, but I can't get some programs [including ASP] to read certain eps files. If AS has I\O of SVG, then it will be easier for them [assuming they follow the compliance] as someone using another program to generate artwork can just request svg export to the makers of that app. They wont need AI import as Illustrator also supports SVG.

Finally, if As had bezier curves, it would make animation easier [as to make more complex curves in AS you need to add more points - which equals more points to adjust when animating].
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

crsP wrote:Finally, if As had bezier curves, it would make animation easier [as to make more complex curves in AS you need to add more points - which equals more points to adjust when animating].
Personally, I get complex curves easily with few points using AS. Curvature tool is great once you get how to use it.
Thinking about animation, handles would add two new control points for each curve, each one with x and y position, that doesn't sound good on timeline.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
crsP

Post by crsP »

With Bezier curves it is easier to get straight against curved lines, and you create them on the fly, unlike AS which you have to lay down the lines and change the curvature later, or pause from construction to change from straight to curved lines, or visa versa.

Another problem I found with AS's curvature is that it works symmetrically always. With bezier handles you can work symmetrically, reflectively or brake the link to the control handles to adjust one side without co-dependance on the other. I have some videos which will demonstrate some of the issues you can run into - will get it posted in a thread discussion on AS 3d.
patricia3d

Post by patricia3d »

and when get success in installing uniconv then goto
http://www.openclipart.org/browse

and download lots of free SVGs and convert them in AI and open in ASP.
TonyPolizzi

Post by TonyPolizzi »

I recently upgraded from ASPro 5.5 to 7.1 and, I must recognize, that they really have done a great job with the new version under many aspects. Thank you all.

As for SVG import, I must admit however, -- expecially nowadays that so many people (me included) use inkscape as their main 2d drawing tool -- that an SVG import option in AS (as a Script addon or as an internal code) could be very useful in many cases. I really hope that AS developpers would take into consideration to introduce such an option in the near future.