Switch off Animation temporarily

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

slowtiger

Switch off Animation temporarily

Post by slowtiger »

I'm building quite complex scenes sometimes with nested folders, each with its own movement, to achieve the result I want. Now if I animate some top group layer, doing further adjustments inside gets difficult sometimes. Especially if I use the "translate layer" tool I often can't use its path view because it's all crooked and warped, although the movement of this actual layer is a straight one.

Right now my only solution is to shift all keys of a top layer to the right, then do adjustments, then shift all keys back again - which is cumbersome.

I'd like to have the ability to "mute" a timeline and all of its keys. Maybe like this:
right-click of a timeline with keys not only brings up "add keyframe", but also a "mute this timeline" and "mute all timelines" (of this layer). This would work similar to the visibility switch in the layer palette. All keys remain in position and hold their values, but can be ignored by AS until I switch them on again.

Discuss! *g*
Genete

Post by Genete »

Especially if I use the "translate layer" tool I often can't use its path view because it's all crooked and warped, although the movement of this actual layer is a straight one.
The reason to that happen is because you're seeing the inner layer movement affected by the parent hierarchy space transformations (scale/rotate, zoom, and translate ones). That would make a straight line in local coordinates turn into a meaningless curve.
I'd like to have the ability to "mute" a timeline and all of its keys. Maybe like this:
right-click of a timeline with keys not only brings up "add keyframe", but also a "mute this timeline" and "mute all timelines" (of this layer). This would work similar to the visibility switch in the layer palette. All keys remain in position and hold their values, but can be ignored by AS until I switch them on again.
I think that to fix that kind of problem (nested parents affection to children paths/channels) I would just add a check box on the layer that shows the path/channels in its own coordinate system when checked or the global coordinate system when unchecked.

Anyway, for a simple straight line movement it is enough to know the start and end positions and even being affected by heaps of parent layers you only have to look after the start and end places and forget the shape of the path on global coordinates... isn't it?
-G
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

For a straight line that would do - but sometimes I want to follow a certain path ...