Better drawing options

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

GoldSheep

Better drawing options

Post by GoldSheep »

I find drawing in anime studio Pro 8 to be a pain in the butt. I'd like an advanced mode of drawing that comes with the pro version which looks more like Illustrator, with the other tools currently in place as a beginner's/debut option.

That given, here is a rough list of the things I banged my head against constantly.

+ means pro version. Anything without a + means it belongs to both.

pen tool. You know, put down an anchor and *draw* +

move individual curves with handles option+

pointer that selects individual points rendered as an arrow. +

arrow that selects all the points at once. + (making it like illustrator makes it more intuitive--especially since people are used to that in photoshop and every other vector-based program I've used back from Superpaint. Bucking tradition doesn't make it cool.)

handle controls on a point like in illustrator. + (Because the program messes up curves a whole lot)

welding should *not* change the curve of the objects (I can screen shot this)

join two end points short cut.

line tool

curve tool line curve tool

Shift-click should be native, not a script.

Shouldn't have to select a different tool to select points.

select layer and hit group short cut should automatically put it into a group.

initiate symmetry on an object along a defined axis. +

Reflect tool. +

Ability to import objects into the character wizard. +

Clicking off of the object should deselect the points.

number key pad plus sign should zoom in.

nudge options with the keyboard.

restroke an object with preview to give objects pastocity following the curve of the object.

correct pastocity of a line in post ala manga studio debut/ex +

curve correction as you draw with number settings, similar to the manga studio tool +

Shift-draw==straight line.

join lines without curvature changing.

character wizard doesn't recognize a neck. (Looks really strange)

change width of a line on an object on the fly rather than having to redraw the object. (tried it several times.)

Your baseline advertisement is that it is easier than Flash to work with and highly intuitive--the tool set for drawing is not intuitive for anyone who has used flash, illustrator, vector-based programs, or Photoshop. Conformity isn't bad in programming terms--it's meeting client expectations. Just attach it to the pro version.

What probably saves this program is the fact you can import. But off the trial version... it really doesn't inspire anyone to buy the program. Though the full version can't import fla or swf (layers or movie) either... which really doesn't help me make the switch from Flash.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

I can see this person ^ is not too familiar with AS.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
zoraster54

problems with drawing in AS

Post by zoraster54 »

I have a tendency to agree with GoldSheep pertaining to drawing. I'm real new to AS but have used Illustrator some. I would think that my difficulties are due to being real new but I'm having a hard time justifying buying the full version.

If anyone knows of any tutorials or books that would help me get off the ground with this program I would get greatly appreciated it
ErikAtMapache

Re: Better drawing options

Post by ErikAtMapache »

Anime Studio can do many of these things already -- the problem is that the program does not gracefully communicate it in many instances. AS is an example of a good program that could become a great program with the proper application of a usability/workflow study.
dueyftw

Re: Better drawing options

Post by dueyftw »

Ahh, the I know how to use "any computer art program" so Anime Studio should be just like them.

Do all the tutorials. You need understand why Anime Studio works the way it dose.

Dale