Python Scripting for AS

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

InfoCentral

Python Scripting for AS

Post by InfoCentral »

I noticed you upgraded your Python for Poser. It would be nice if you integrated Python scripting for AS so you have a common language across all your product line. :lol:
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
Dodgy

Re: Python Scripting for AS

Post by Dodgy »

Python is used in LightWave 3d now, as well as Maya, and it's even what Papagayo is written in, so perhaps Python should be a next step!
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

+1

dont forget blender 3d.

I'd go as far as to say its by far the simplest language for a none-programmer to pick up and its a synch to expose c/c++ code to an interpreter from a techie point of view...
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

I thought LUA was used because it was much faster than the other scripting languages? Its used in games for that reason.

Therefore wouldn't Python scripts make AS run slower? I wouldn't want that.

It's not like we'd all of a sudden be able to use Blender or Lightwave scripts in Anime Studio, would we? I don't know much about scripting (I don't even like typing in passwords, let alone scripts), but I didn't think scripts were compatible across different programs.

And as for encouraging non-programmers to write more scripts - I prefer my scripts to be written by programmers! :D
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

There are some very intensive maths applications and scientists using python so performance is not an issue. scripts by their nature glue things together and the performance bottleneck would be ASP ;).

That said I'm not suggesting that everyone should script but if they wanted python would be easy ;)

The industry is waking up to python and if all leading graphics apps are using it, asp would benefit from cross skills.
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

you might like to take a look at http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16031 for a discussion on python vs LUA.

Given that all the AS-provided tools are in LUA it might take a while to change those over - not to mention the user-generated scripts...
... but maybe there's a way to provide an API to support user-written python scripts as well as (rather than instead of) LUA ones?
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

InfoCentral wrote:I noticed you upgraded your Python for Poser. It would be nice if you integrated Python scripting for AS so you have a common language across all your product line. :lol:
I give a big thumbs up to that! We should have Python support by now if nothing else to have a common language across all SM graphic products. I've noticed in other 3D software they have been able to include Python into their product. So if it can be done in very complicated 3D code it should be a lot easier in ASP.
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group