Frame 0

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Lukas

Frame 0

Post by Lukas »

When using the sequencer, frame 0 moves away from frame 0.

This can lead to big problems with a project. It would probably be better if frame 0 wouldn't be a frame in the timeline at all, it doesn't really serve a purpose to have it have an actual place in time.

For example: If you have a pose on frame 8, and you use the sequencer to move your entire character-animation 8 frames back in time. Suddenly your pose is on frame 0, which is supposed to be a neutral rigging state or 'design mode'. And voila, you can't edit the rig anymore, because 'design mode' is now on frame -8.
marked4life

Re: Frame 0

Post by marked4life »

Your right it's really interesting. I just tested it myself.

I started a blank project, grabbed a plain Character wizard man. Added his built-in wave animation to him.
Then moved the animation backwards in the Sequencer until about when his arm is straight up.

If you go to your new frame Zero. The Mans bones are straight up, but his arm is down. The translate bone tool can't select any of the bones involved in the arm animation.
In fact the entire top row of bone tools no longer work. Everything else does, although in the case of the reparent tool, the bone needs to be selected before grabbing the reparent tool. Since the select bone tool doesn't work on those bones, you have to select with the bone strength tool.
SO in that scenario it seems you can't move the bones where they sit, rotate them (as apposed to manipulate them) or add additional bones to their hierarchy I:E no new finger bones for the hand.

Okay, not a solution, just another witness report of sorts.
Still interesting. Cutting the start of the animation short is useful. Creating problems like this for Frame 0 is not.