Smooth lines/ reduce pionts function.

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Squeakydave

Smooth lines/ reduce pionts function.

Post by Squeakydave »

On my current project I'm having to deal with a lot of imported Ai files that have way too many points. I have also noticed that the freehand drawing tool does not give you an option for smoothing/point reduction. It tends to give me too many points for my liking.

It would be very handy to be able to select a bunch of points and have something like a slider that would reduce their number while trying to maintain the curve. Something like this also attached to the freehand tool so i could set how many points it created or the smoothness.

This sort of function is pretty common in other vector drawing/animation programs.
Lukas

Re: Smooth lines/ reduce pionts function.

Post by Lukas »

I agree.

I used ASP to morph the logo at 0:45. There were hundreds of useless points and it took me way too much time to get rid of them.
Squeakydave

Post by Squeakydave »

Ooof. I know what that feels like.
Nice animation. I love the design.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

I really like the style of that animation... The characters are great! Dd you make this animation?
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Thank you. It was done in TVpaint, I thought it would be cool to morph to the actual logo in ASP. It took me a few hours too much...because of the many hundreds of points.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

And... why don't you simply use the "Scritps -> Draw -> Simplify Curve..." menu script guys? :)
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Ramón López wrote:And... why don't you simply use the "Scritps -> Draw -> Simplify Curve..." menu script guys? :)
...That works really well!
Squeakydave

Post by Squeakydave »

Lukas wrote:Thank you. It was done in TVpaint, I thought it would be cool to morph to the actual logo in ASP. It took me a few hours too much...because of the many hundreds of points.
Ah. TVP my rough animation weapon of choice. lovely drawing feel.
Ramón López wrote:And... why don't you simply use the "Scritps -> Draw -> Simplify Curve..." menu script guys? :)
DOh! I, er,forgot about that.
I'd still like it integrated. Especially so I could set the smoothing before freehand drawing. Currently the freehand tool is a bit point heavy for my needs.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

Squeakydave wrote: I'd still like it integrated. Especially so I could set the smoothing before freehand drawing. Currently the freehand tool is a bit point heavy for my needs.

And I agree... So (meantime) here it is a first try to have the "SimplifyCurve" built-in function integrated on it.
I mentioned that technical detail because, in fact, the freehand tool still counts with an (hiden) integrated angle tolerance system in it, but I just wanted to test this *new* way and see, and... well, it seem to work quite well :). Let me know anything you consider appropriate tho. Well, greetings!

EDIT: Oh, oh... just a last note! Another good thing about ASP 9 is you can simply put this "modified" script into your custom content folder, like this (in my case):
  • C:\Users\Ramon0\Anime Studio\Anime Studio Pro\scripts\tool

And you don' have to worry about anything else! :D If you are still on ASP 8 instead (WHY??), you'll have to put it in your tool scripts system folder and backup before the original "lm_freehand.lua" file just in case, and take care of it on every new program update/grade or re-installation, you know...
Squeakydave

Post by Squeakydave »

Many thanks Ramon. That works brilliantly :-)
It's really good to be able to work with fewer points and then move them if need be. :D
chucky

Post by chucky »

Love the animation Lukas, cool design too.
I also looking for a better point reduction solution for imported and/or traced to vector images.
I can get some OK results to look at but the vector points are through the roof with no real good reason.
May of the points are doubled, tripled up , even more but what I'm really trying to do is reduce the overall count without destroying the shape.
The same shapes could be made with a tenth of the points but with more curvature.
Does anyone know of a better script the the existing 'Simplify Curve' one?
Any help would be much appreciated.